• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cleaning up an airplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgwendling

Now I'm not looking for more speed out of my plane (it will probably go faster while on the trailer going down the freeway:p: ), but I would like to clean it up a bit.

I was thinking of using streamlined strut tubing for the eight struts that stick out in the wind plus making something to cover the axle tube. I have a pair of C152 wheel fairings that I can make work (they need some TLC though). I was thinking of more rake in the windshield but that might cause some aero probs with the tail.

The other thing I was thinking of changing are the wing tips. Now I don't know squat about how different wing tip designs affect lift, drag. If anyone knows about some easy to understand info on this it would be most helpful. What I am looking for is a simple to cover design that I can install flush mount lights in. The wing tip bows that are on my plans don't allow a flush mount that is visible from above, below, and the side. I was thinking of something that I could make out of foam and glass.

I'll have a spinner on the prop and the cowling shape will be driven mostly by engine size and cooling requirements. Basicly I'll think about that when I decide on an engine.

Can anybody else think of where I can "clean up" my Avenger?:smile:

Back