Cleaning a gunky engine...

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

robbvious

Anybody have a suggestion on what to use to close off all the inlets and outlets so that I can pressure wash my nasty Phazer engine?
DCA323E9-9051-42B7-80C3-4B4B6C95BD78.jpeg

rv7charlie

I'm confident that there's no way to do that. You should just abandon the idea of a clean engine. There are others that aren't so picky; my shipping address is on the way via private message.

Charlie

rv7charlie

robbvious

😁
My plan was to use foamy degreaser and a hose, but I wondered if someone had a source for caps and/or plugs. It’s really nasty!

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Thatone

Just remember to remove the tape and paper promptly after cleaning. There always seems to be some leakage past the tape so getting any soggy towel out is a good idea. Tape left too long leaves residue of it's own that can be hard to clean.

TFF

Got to be careful with oven cleaner on aluminum. Dawn Powerwash is popular on model airplane engines.

Chris Matheny

HBA Supporter
I've used oven cleaner on a lot of aluminum heads in the past with care it will brighten and etch a lot of oxidation off. You can't leave it on long and do so in a ventilated area. Also aluminum brightener from Napa or any parts store will do the same thing.

pictsidhe

Washing soda is a step down from the caustic soda in oven cleaner. I used to use it or laundry detergent to clean up motorcycle engines, but after stripping them...

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
I don't use simple green for anything around a running machine anymore. Stuff stops working after you wash an engine bay with that stuff. Fine for bare metal parts. That stuff is nasty. I have some hippie friends that use it because they think it is environmentally friendly. It was named way before people called stuff green for that reason. Oven cleaner is a base, not an acid. I have a friend that has a caustic tank, heated for cleaning SBC blocks. It will disolve an aluminum engine block in short order.

The two things I have had luck with are distilled white vinegar 10% if you can get it and be careful. Aluminum wheel cleaner can work as well. And good old elbow grease always works. Wire brushes, scotch brite pads in a small angle grinder, dremel, etc...