• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Class D incursion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
Once upon a time, I was a passenger in a plane landing at an airport just outside class D airspace. While alone in the pattern, an unknown voice came on the CTAF and said, "aircraft turning base, you are in the class delta." No identification of the transmitting party; just, you're in the delta. I have heard that some area residents (all of whom moved in either after the airport, or live in the adjacent TTF community) don't like the airport and have reported landing aircraft to the FAA for various infractions. I suspect the call came from one of these residents and not the class-D tower.

I know with certainty that the aircraft wasn't in the delta airspace (I was looking at a chart while the PIC was flying and I know the area well). If you had been the PIC, would you call that tower to ask if that transmission came from them, as opposed to a pirate radio operator (either after you landed or perhaps later by phone)? Or would you just be happy you weren't given a number to call and consider yourself lucky?

Because I land there from time to time myself, I was upset enough to call the tower later and inform them that someone else (not an aircraft) was transmitting on the CTAF, but the PIC (for reasons I won't criticize!) just wanted to keep mum--what would you do?

Back