• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Christavia renewal and build log!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee Aviator in SC

At long last I have recommitted to my Christavia project that has it's roots in my mind as far back as the the 1980s.

First a little history. 80s and 90s I had been picking the minds of EAAers in the Lake County IL area for some time. Looked at a few Christian Eagles, a Starduster or two and other rag & tube projects. I even ordered a set of Starduster Too plans after Oshkosh one summer. I'd met and discussed Velocities and diesel power with Doug Dewars of Delta Hawk engines. I'd looked at Glassairs, Lanceairs and AeroComps...Even the early Kitfox... I saw the advent of the RVs and thought how cool would a Deltahawk powered RV-8 be? Life and weather drove me to move the family to a warmer climate.

When I first moved south my first acquaintances were people active in the 242 chapter in Columbia SC. For the most part it was a flying club compared to more northern chapters. There were however a few dedicated builders in the group. I was quick to make friends with one, named Ray. I used to spend my mornings on days off from the airline flying schedule, with Ray for a few hours each day, watching learning and occasionally helping. He was working on his 3rd homebuilt at the time. It was a long build RV-8. Not the greatest craftsman, Ray's persistence was inspirational.

I watched the events of September 11th live. I had an appointment that day, with a banker to secure a construction loan to build a hangar at a developing residential airpark. I knew that the events would change my airline career but the bank president encouraged me to take the loan and build the project. Over the course of the next few days, I couldn't watch TV anymore, so I would retreat to Ray's shop.

We built the wing tanks that week. At the end of the week Ray gave me his set of Ron Mason Christavia plans.

I built wing ribs for a few months.

One rib a day when I had time, took me about 3 months!

Last edited:
Back