• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Choosing wood over aluminium worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PorcoRosso

I've found wonderful resources on a future project I'd like to start early on, an ultralight glider. As things go, the plans for aircraft of this type are usually aluminium tubing and bolted joints (nothing welded or made of machined metal). Would it first off be possible to replace all structural framework of aluminium with lightweight wood/plywood for a lowered cost without adding too much weight, or is wood simply out of the question when it comes to ultralight gliding? I've been told aluminium is lighter, though I still feel metal tubes and steel bolts would weigh more than wooden spars and properly jointed connections. I'm talking quite general here, as aside from the specific project I'd also like to know what woods would be a good choice for ultralight aircraft; powered and un-powered alike.

Many thanks in advance.

Back