Chip is making progress with the Merlin Lite

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Niels

Asymmetric trust if one wing -slot prop have a better day than the other?

John.Roo

Idea is not so bad 👍
Only I would personally prefer few future modifications.
1) move the "DEP" system as near as possible to airplane axis. LSA and UL pilots are really not trained for asymmetric thrust. Position near fuselage could also increase flaps efficiency (but used props are large so who knows).
2) definitelly change batteries and make much better fitting. Velcro only for ground tests ;)

And main question.... will this system bring that much advantages to balance all possible problems? You need two electric motors, two controllers, two set of batteries and both separated "DEP" systems must work perfectly = increased price and weight.

I hope that flight test video will be done soon to have impression about noise and pilot feelings ;)

Victor Bravo

That's an incredibly interesting concept Chip, it's fantastic to keep innovating. Even on exotic stuff like that slotted wing/prop booster.

But I believe many others on and off this forum will agree that the E-AB world needs you to be putting all of those magnificently healthy brain cells of yours focused on getting the V-twin engine out into the market and onto as many different airplanes as possible :)

That's a potential game-changer for a lot of people. We'd generate a significant amount of (worldwide) interest just through our discussions and drawings and rantings on this forum alone.

REVAN

Integrate those electric motors to rudder input and you will have greatly improved ground handling. What it would do for water handling with the Merlin on floats would be next level stuff, plus it would help to get the floats unstuck and get the plane flying much sooner. I can see it now... forward, reverse, spin around on one spot. Docking and beaching will be so easy.

Chip W. Erwin

That's an incredibly interesting concept Chip, it's fantastic to keep innovating. Even on exotic stuff like that slotted wing/prop booster.

But I believe many others on and off this forum will agree that the E-AB world needs you to be putting all of those magnificently healthy brain cells of yours focused on getting the V-twin engine out into the market and onto as many different airplanes as possible :)

That's a potential game-changer for a lot of people. We'd generate a significant amount of (worldwide) interest just through our discussions and drawings and rantings on this forum alone.
I do see some posts about Vtwins and Ace redrives. All good work. I am using a redrive from Ace custom to our Vtwin specs. I also have a propeller made matched to the Vtwin torque and the Merlin speeds. But the real key is we deal factory-direct. I have arranged a dedicated Vtwin engine production run for a large quantity of Vtwins made to Aeromarine's specifications. We pack a shipping container with new engines then warehouse them on the west coast and reship direct to the customer. This is by far the most economical way to source and deliver. We stock the Ace redrives and our props which are easy to ship by UPS. When the engine arrives to the customer they simply bolt on the redrive and are ready to mount on their aircraft. Engines need no mods and there is nothing extra to remove either. We even have a custom dip stick made a foot longer to have easy access from a top cowl door.

Victor Bravo

THANK YOU for the reply Chip. Many many people here on this forum will surely join me in wishing you great success with this engine (and the Merlin aircraft series). I have a R-503 powered aircraft project that would possibly be a good candidate for the Aeromarine Vtwin, so I'll be watching this engine closely.

I also really think that there should be another one of our patented HBA worldwide design and configuration discussions on the many types of aircraft that might take advantage of this new engine development.

I'll check with the leading authorities on this... Erkki, you on board? Sockmonkey? Hellooo... calling West Africa... T minus five, four...

wanttobuild

I would like to request the wing be sold knocked down so I could flush rivet it and then polish it.

One step further, sell it knocked down to allow for some sweat equity.

We all know the magic of matched hole, it will cleco together, and it doesn't get ant sweeter than that.

For the ultimate cheepo, Ultravair four stroke opposed twin.

The unbeatable silence of electric power also has a very strong appeal.

Sloted wings in front of ailerons filled with a little carbon prop blows my mind. I love it!

Martin R.

Hephaestus

1633324093621.png

This prop has me asking so many questions... dogtooth + winglet? Seems very atypical for what we usually see of prop manufacturers...

TFF

Most prop manufacturers can’t pull off those tricks. They are not new. In composite it’s much easier, but a lot of extra engineering. A lot of potential product problem growing pains.

Bent tip props; my IA renewal was once signed by the infamous FAA inspector who grounded a twin who had just had some lovely Q tip props installed. She called them a prop strike.

John.Roo

This seems to be French DUC "Windspoon".
1633353544186.png

In prop manual you can find info that:
"The WINDSPOON propeller, with its revolutionary shape called WINDSPOON, offers unrivalled performance. Its technical innovations are several consequences:
- Better performance
- Lower fuel consumption
- Less noise
The very special profile of the WINDSPOON blade has been calculated to optimize the airflow over the whole surface of the WINDSPOON. The offset of the twisting results in better reduction of friction and a longer life.
"

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Increased tip chord and a thinner section with sweep is for transonic optimization, in theory.