• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Childhood favorites

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter hudson

Joan Didian once wrote (taken out of context)

"I have already lost touch with a couple of people I used to be; one of them, a seventeen-year-old, presents little threat,..."

I was just thinking about the planes I was most inspired by as a seventeen year old and thought ..."have I lost touch with that part of me? did I present a threat to today's me?"
So back (1979) then it was Santos Dumont's Demoiselle (and the man himself), the Aeronca C2, any hang glider, the (new) Lazair, and the local gliderport's Blanik.

I think I'm still that guy, but wanting to add the things modern composites bring to the table in something I design. I don't think I've lost grip of (or been threatened by) that passion those early favorites gave me.
I figure most of us have been around long enough to fit those inspirations into this classics forum. Anyway food for thought, have you lost your way, evolved, or still love your top 5 from your youth? What were they?

And yes, I know this is outside my usual approach of only trying to add technical content. I might be a little buzzed.

Back