Chevy?? Could this be the GM Import: Geo, Suzuki??

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

skip_hill

If this is for the Geo/Suzuki conversions, I am interested. I want to use a Geo (I have one) but don't want the "gold plated" PSRU from Raven or B-2, If I could find the bearings, pulleys, and belts, I'll make my own back plate, as I want to add a Lovejoy damper to protect the prop.. any ideas??:confused: :confused: :confused:

Jman

Site Developer
Well, I could make a separate area for GEO / Suzuki. There a pretty different animal from the Chevy V6 and V8 that I was thinking of when I created this area. What do you think? I'm not familiar with all of the Auto conversions out there.

Jake

skip_hill

A new category might be OK. The 3 cyl 993cc Geo engine is gaining popularity as a Lite low HP conversion. Straight out of the car, and stripped of all the "Nader" parts, it will produce 57hp at 5400rpm. This very effectively competes with the 503 or 582 Rotex, with out the 2 stroke whine, or the fear of silence. Unfortunately Mfg. such as <www.raven-rotor.com> and <www.b2engines.com> are pricing their products against the high end competition. To me the whole art of "Home-built" and "Experimental" is not "Erector Set" I have been unsuccesful in finding the components to make my own PSRU. Of course those who use those components want me to purchase their complete unit.... Thanx for your prompt reply.

skip_hill

The 350 Chevy is big power that requires big reduction to convert for aircraft. Some of the "Fast Glass" experimentals are using Chev, Buick,Ford etc. These exp's are usually 1800#, and fly in the 200's mph. Not my cup a T, but I'll go back and get the names of the PSRU for you..:confused:

David Clifford

Skip,
The late Tony Bingellis has a couple excellent books on the subject. One is "Tony Bingellis On Engines" and another is "Firewall Forward".
Talks alot about auto conversions and PSRU's including how to build your own.

skip_hill

psru

Thanx Dave, I read TB's book and it's good stuff, my problem is finding someone who will sell me the components to build it. All the parts available locally are the 'heavy' industrial versions. Cast Iron pulleys etc. Most of the UL Mgg want you to build their project to get any help, and the drive mfg want to sell you complete units. What I'm doing is only going to require the drive pulley, driven pulley with prop hub. I will have to build my own back plate for my application. Most of those guys want to rev the engines to nearly 6000 to get max hp. I want to top at max torque, which is 4650 rpm. In their glory they just don't get it. The faster you run it, the faster it breaks down. I'd like to know I can come down "when I want to" thanks for the help, I'll go back and re-read TB maybe I'll see something I didn't the first time.
The PSRU for the 350 Chevy that I saw was from <www.beltedair.com/index.html> Another that's a little spendy but sturdy is the unit from NSI.........:cool: