Checklist deficiencies- or... what do you wish checklists would include?

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by GlassVampire, Jul 1, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 1, 2012 #1

GlassVampire

GlassVampire

GlassVampire

Hi guys/gals,
    I'm developing a new type of aviation checklist, and I was curious what everyone here thought about the ones currently out? What do they do well? What DON"T they do well? Too much info? Not enough info? What do you wish they included? Thoughts/remarks/comments?

I'll update this thread as my project progress. Thanks!

2. Jul 1, 2012 #2

GlassVampire

GlassVampire

GlassVampire

Some of my thoughts real quick:
    Some have quite small fonts, so to cram as much info as possible into as small a space as possible. Problem with that, is you can't read it if you are bouncing around in turbulance.
    Would also be nice to have a place to write down your most used freqs for your homebase airport and nav aids. Also a flightplan page and METAR/TAF page. Pages could be glossy and writable with a dry-erase pen or something like that.

3. Jul 1, 2012 #3

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

- Going paper? If so, then:
    -- Not striclty a checklist item, but: I usually have a page in my checklist rings for the destination field. Freq's I'll need (large enough for me to see them without my "cheaters"), and a runway diagram with hand-drawn refs for 90 degrees out for each one (so I can quickly determine the proper runway at an uncontrolled field based on the winds from ASOS. I prefer to have the figuring done in advance). Also, having the runway numbers listed (they ain't on the sectional) makes the radio calls better ("Bigsbee traffic, Cessna 3456 entering left downwind for runway 22" is more satisfying than "Bigsbee traffic, Cessna 3456 entering left downwind for your runway that looks to be about 20, anyway it's pointed south and has a red barn on the approach.")
    -- If there are items on the plane that have measurable tolerances (e.g. amount of shiny metal on an oleo strut) it's handy to have a measuring gauge right there in the checklist.
    -- I have a laminated sectional section (long out of date) with my home 'drome in the middle. I've got radials (marked) and distances from all the nearby VORs leading to my field (frequencies written right on the chart). I've never needed it, but I'll have it if I ever do.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  4. Jul 2, 2012 #4

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Try looking up the research of Asaf Degani on checklist development and use. It should be required reading for anyone developing checklists or related materials because it helps you avoid a lot of long standing common mistakes.

5. Jul 2, 2012 #5

GlassVampire

GlassVampire

GlassVampire

Thanks for the ideas, I especially like the laminated sectional, as I am developing for specific flight schools and corporate flight departments where that information would be useful. I am already including a homebase airport taxi diagram that will of course show all runway and taxiway designations. SVSU, I will check out that research you mentioned. Yes these are "paper" checklists (actually laminated card stock). Thanks.

6. Jul 2, 2012 #6

GlassVampire

GlassVampire

GlassVampire

BTW, another good book on checklist design and use is "The Checklist Manifesto", though this uses medical use as an example, its still highly appropriate.

7. Jul 2, 2012 #7

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Once one uses electronic checklists, it is difficult to go back to paper/laminated. However, if the electronics are no longer available, then paper might be useful. And if they are separate like on an iPhone, this is unlikely. But then again, many of the items mentioned like local frequencies should be committed to memory with any regular use. Check out Checklist Lite (free) which is similar but possibly better the one in the picture. If you are trying to do this commercially, on paper, it is a bit like trying to do a better buggy whip at the advent of the automobile.

Attached Files:

8. Jul 2, 2012 #8

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Have performance graphs for when the engine fails. Tail/headwind and have distance you can reach from a certain altitude minus 500 ft. Knowing that you can easily reach that airport puts your mind at ease, knowing you can't make it avoids pushing through a hopeless situation.

Balanced take/off performance lists as a function of density altitude.

9. Jul 2, 2012 #9

Inverted Vantage

Inverted Vantage

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target

Hm...making the emergency checklist text large and easy to read would probably help.

10. Jul 2, 2012 #10

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

The selection of font and size was actually a major part of the research I previously mentioned.

11. Jul 4, 2012 #11

Richard6

Richard6

Richard6

Have all the items for a particular check on the same page. On the Jabiru I fly, the shut down list is on two pages. Many a time I have had the timer click over to the next tenth of an hour while I am flipping pages to finish the shut down. (rental unit)

12. Jul 4, 2012 #12

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Colornote is a good one for Android. And it allows synching to other devices, so that you can keep all your checklists current without any hassle, no matter which device you happen to be using..

13. Jul 4, 2012 #13

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Reminds me of the Manchester runway disaster where the pilot and copilot stayed in the cockpit to run through the emergency shutdown list which was 30 some items in length. By the time they were done, they had to exit through the cockpit windows because the rest of the plane was full of toxic smoke and fire.

14. Jul 4, 2012 #14

rheuschele

rheuschele

rheuschele

Since your font size is already discussed, you may want a dull (mine is gray) paper so the sunlight doesn't' blind you
    while outside.
    Ron

15. Jul 4, 2012 #15

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

The paper we use for forms to record data on crash scenes as part of our research is powder blue. It's bright enough to be easily spotted if it's placed somewhere (or if you drop it and it starts blowing away) but not so reflective that you feel like you've had your eyes dilated by an optometrist when you look at it.

16. Jul 9, 2012 #16

GlassVampire

GlassVampire

GlassVampire

Actually I was thinking of making an Android app. I don't have an iPhone, and haven't found any good android checklist apps yet. Going to check out colornote though.