Cheapest engine capable of 1000hp and lasting 10 hours

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Brian Clayton

I wanna know what you consider cheap ? $5000-$10000 for a reliable strong race engine with 1000hp + ???

Thats a loaded question. You can have "cheap 1000hp" or "reliable 1000hp". You are not going to have both. Its not just cost of parts, its also the quality of the machine work (more money, 6500-15000 just to have a high end engine assembled) and the quality of the parts. When I say quality, I dont mean billet crank vs cast crank alone, I mean the extra you pay for say, cylinder heads. A 1000hp engine with a 2500 set of heads will be outran by more than a little by a 1000hp engine with a 15,000 set of heads. The cheaper engines end up using a poor runner design, and that makes the engines very peaky at a low rpm, not to mention losing a desirable flat torque curve, rpm, etc. Its like comparing a 65hp vw with a 65hp conti.....one is cheaper than the other, and while they make the "same HP" the more expensive engine has more desirable traits. Not to say a cheaper engine wont go (fly) but its not the same.

Doggzilla

Thats a loaded question. You can have "cheap 1000hp" or "reliable 1000hp". You are not going to have both. Its not just cost of parts, its also the quality of the machine work (more money, 6500-15000 just to have a high end engine assembled) and the quality of the parts. When I say quality, I dont mean billet crank vs cast crank alone, I mean the extra you pay for say, cylinder heads. A 1000hp engine with a 2500 set of heads will be outran by more than a little by a 1000hp engine with a 15,000 set of heads. The cheaper engines end up using a poor runner design, and that makes the engines very peaky at a low rpm, not to mention losing a desirable flat torque curve, rpm, etc. Its like comparing a 65hp vw with a 65hp conti.....one is cheaper than the other, and while they make the "same HP" the more expensive engine has more desirable traits. Not to say a cheaper engine wont go (fly) but its not the same.

Thats very true, but if we are trying to start a league... a $75,000 engine that may have to be replaced each season is a hell of a lot better than tearing up a million dollar warbird and putting another million into it. We could almost start an entire league for the cost of a single warbird.