cheaper master cylinder brake options

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

pylon500

HBA Supporter
All true enough and maybe worth looking at, although at the moment the plan is on heel brakes and simple pedals.
My rear seat is also a little elevated to the front seat, although the pedals are sort of in the same area. 🤔

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
This thread reminds me that side-by-side seating, a single central stick, and single or dual hand lever brakes on the stick is about the simplest system possible. Add a second set of rudder pedals and a second throttle and you’re all set for dual.

1625148176606.png

pylon500

HBA Supporter
This thread reminds me that side-by-side seating, a single central stick, and single or dual hand lever brakes on the stick is about the simplest system possible. Add a second set of rudder pedals and a second throttle and you’re all set for dual.

View attachment 112579
Ah, the old Skyranger/Bushcat/Hunaman or whichever copy that happens to be, not quite as tidy as the Y stick Foxbat.
A22_cockpit.jpg

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Kolb MKII has a center stick and a center throttle. Inside hand on the stick and cross your outside hand across your belly for the throttle. Sounds awkward as hell but owners say you easily get used to it.

Dan Thomas

The Kolb MKII has a center stick and a center throttle. Inside hand on the stick and cross your outside hand across your belly for the throttle. Sounds awkward as hell but owners say you easily get used to it.
The original Zenair CH100 had a center stick and TWO throttles, one on each end of the panel. The levers were connected to a cross shaft, with a bellcrank on the shaft to feed the throttle cable.

Awkwardness in any cockpit is not welcome if it can be avoided. It can lead to loss of control at a critical moment. Remember the fuel selector valve in the Long Eze that John Denver died in? Somewhere behind the pilot's head, hard to reach, out of sight and all that? Along with the fuel gauge...

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
That Foxbat installation is neat and Y-stick is always an option. The Jurca spade grip below is canted forward 20 degrees to be kinder to your wrist and could work well as a Y-stick alternative if you put the base of the triangle on top. It gives lots of different hand position options. That looks like one Y-lever operating a single master cylinder for the Foxbat brakes, which is slick, but independent left/right brakes would be trickier.

Jurca spade grip photo.jpg

Ah, the old Skyranger/Bushcat/Hunaman or whichever copy that happens to be, not quite as tidy as the Y stick Foxbat.
The Sky Ranger has dual throttle knobs but just one cable using an aluminum torque tube behind the panel much like the Zenair CH100 that Dan mentioned. And yes, those throttle knobs are just golf balls per the plans and note the elaborate parking brake.

1625243381055.png
1625243350441.png

The original Zenair CH100 had a center stick and TWO throttles, one on each end of the panel. The levers were connected to a cross shaft, with a bellcrank on the shaft to feed the throttle cable.

pylon500

HBA Supporter
I'm actually doing some flying in a Skyranger at the moment (😖) and having trouble getting the throttle friction sorted, keeps creeping on while landing.
My Foxbat has a nice little adjustable disc brake like setup for throttle friction, never gives any trouble.
Yes, the two levers on the Y stick just drive one master cylinder, and with direct steerable nosewheel, single brake is OK.
I mean, anyone reading, if you have a chance, you should have a fly in a Foxbat, it really is a benchmark in handling, comfort, ergonomics (except maybe the flap handle) and all round performance (27kt to 90~100kt depending on model), and the Vixxen is even better.

Daleandee

It appears you folks have been looking around in my cockpit including my Velcro parking brake set up:Flightdeck.jpg

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Kind of comforting to know that I'm not the only one that thinks electricians tape is a viable substitute for temporary wound closure - 20:28
The use of a bit of paper towel to distribute the load and absorb the biological hazard is a nice, but not strictly necessary, touch.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Super Glue and duct tape and a bit of paper towel.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Super Glue and duct tape and a bit of paper towel.
Have to respectively disagree. Electricians tape has much better pressure retention and flexabality compared to Duct™ tape.
I prefer 3M 33+ over Super 88 due to it being a little more flexible when used around the joints. Harbor Freight stuff stays at HF.

TFF

The Hot Stuff model glue guys were building model airplane kits, that they would get on leave in Tokyo while on tour in Vietnam. They used liquid suture to glue them together. Super glue.

Personally I put pressure on with towel, jump around, and mutter for thirty minutes. I’m too much a baby to glue it together.

dwalker

HBA Supporter
I have used super glue quite a bit. When my wife cut herself with a kitchen knife and I reached for the super glue... that was a special moment..

Daleandee

Years ago while building my current aircraft I injured myself the night before I was scheduled to go play guitar at an event. I was running my fingers along a seam feeling for any roughness when I sliced across the tips of two of my string fingers. Super glue got me through the gig but it was a bit funky not being able to fully feel the strings. Tough times call for tough measures ... ;)