• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Airplane For Sale Cheap Luscombe Airframe Project

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Victor Bravo

A friend just called me and asked if I knew anyone who wanted a Luscombe project. I don't need one, but maybe one of our distinguished members here wants one?

ALL I KNOW at this early stage is that it doesn't come with an engine or propeller, it was a fabric wing Luscombe, and it's cheap (under $5K probably)

NO I am not involved personally or financially, it's just a crabby old retired Huey gunship driver friend of mine who asked if I wanted it
NO I do not have photos yet, but I probably will soon, and (assuming it does not violate any TOU or moderator wishes) I will post them in this thread at that time
NO I don't have it here to look at and answer any detailed questions

The light, early Luscombe would make an incredibly cool and potent vintage-ish hotrod with a 120-140HP Yamaha Apex conversion. Experimental, but not E-AB; It would have to be Exhibition or something of course, but it may well be worth it.

And with my cheerful encouragement, you can unceremoniously dis-respect, dis-own, and dis-possess me, step over my sorry arse, and contact Bill Reid 7O2-5 eight won, too zeero too-too and talk turkey directly with the turkey in charge.

Victor Bravo

I contacted the seller, told him people from HBA would be kicking his door down, and wanting the airplane.

He said "Have them TEXT a contact message to that number above, with "Luscombe" in the title somewhere, so I don't accidentally delete the message with the spam calls".

I will be getting photos from him, just don't have them yet to post here. But I now have this highly classified and life-changing additional info:

Complete Luscombe 8A airframe, essentially undamaged

Rudder control AD has been complied with

Fabric is OFF wings... you're in for a covering session

Polished fuselage and vertical tail, horizontal stab still needs polishing

Good news on the paperwork end... he has the logbooks and paperwork in hand.

Neither of us can positively ID a Silflex gear, so when you or your Luscombe expert looks at the photos you can tell us

He took it in on trade for IA work that he did on some guy's other airplane, so it's NOT a bank repo, "ghost" cobbled-parts airplane, or an "Uncle Bob died!" situation

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
There is a Luscombe 8A in the hanger across the runway from me that hasn't be moved for at least 10 years. Was in a flying club and one of my grandsons was a part owner when he was a teenager. Was damage at one time and fixed by one of the best IA's in aluminum that I know. The IA was also in the club and he taught my grandson a lot in the rebuild. Its down to 3 owners and I have been trying to get them to sell it. I just hate to see it set and not flown. I going to bring the subject up again when I get a change.
In the rebuild, I painted it in my paint booth and I have flown it many times and its a nice flying Luscombe with the A-65 engine.
If the 3 owners decide to sell, I'll post it on here.
The damage was when the IA hand propped it when not tied down and after flooding the engine the throttle was at WOT and the wing hit a hanger post.
No prop strike of any kind.
Luscombe at 2WV3.

Ctyankee

Hello, I am new on this forum due to rebuilding a Cassutt but am a pretty hardcore Luscombe guy as I have 3 of them. If you post pics, I would be happy to help you ID what you have. If it is a good original there is indeed a market for them and for those of us that do tinker in the exp world with Luscombes, it could potentially be a good clip wing project or even a STC conversion to a O320 or O235.

starrtit

HBA Supporter
Does anybody have a prop for an a65 Cont.. I need one ,

Victor Bravo

Hello, I am new on this forum due to rebuilding a Cassutt but am a pretty hardcore Luscombe guy as I have 3 of them. If you post pics, I would be happy to help you ID what you have. If it is a good original there is indeed a market for them and for those of us that do tinker in the exp world with Luscombes, it could potentially be a good clip wing project or even a STC conversion to a O320 or O235.
The "Factory" Luscombe with 150hp and an experimental AW ticket is based at my home airport. And Jack Norris, the old retired rocket scientist who developed the comfortable seat for the Luscombe, is a member of our EAA chapter.

Turd Ferguson

So it's a "pre-war" Luscombe 8A standard.
Built at the Trenton factory located at the Mercer County Airport, West Trenton, NJ, first week of May 1939. Originally equipped with a Continental A-65-8 engine at the factory. That was the early days of 8A production so it's one of the first 25 Model 8A's built with an A-65. Gross wt was 1200#.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Old friend had a Lyc-320 Luscombe in about 1972. Didn't have it very long, hired a IA to do the annual inspection and the IA wanted to fly it to his field to do the work. Ground looped and destroyed on landing.

Victor Bravo

I believe that it is safe to say that the pre-war airplanes like this are measurably lighter. So this should be a desirable project for someone.

Since one poster mentioned going the 'experimental Luscombe' route... how cool would a 100HP Rotax 912 be on this? Lighter than an A series Continental, lots more power and acceleration because of the gearbox, and significantly lower fuel burn.

Yes of course you'd have to put it out a little further forward of the firewall and make a new cowling. But the resulting benefits would be pretty darn cool. It would look like the way it was done on the Pilatus Porter when they made the turbine version, and the spray planes with turbine conversions.