Cheap ADS-B

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Aerowerx, Aug 18, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 17, 2015 #21

Pops

Pops

Pops

I built his marker beacon receiver tester a long time ago.
    Dan

2. Jan 19, 2015 #22

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

As I remember they require you send the completed unit back to them for final certification

3. Jan 19, 2015 #23

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I just read in Flying magazine, the SkyGuardTWX portable ADS-B (with in, out)will sell for about $1500.
    If portable is allowed by FAA.

4. Feb 21, 2015 #24

Rob_O

Rob_O

Rob_O

Navworx has a couple solutions available, one that piggybacks on an existing transponder and one that is a stand-alone ads-b in and out system. The portable one is not for certified aircraft but it is pretty awesome for $1000.

My phone didn't like the SkyGuard website but what I could find makes me think it does the same plus AHRS for more money so you can do synthetic vision on your phone or tablet.

These are great if you already have a transponder, but as an ultralight guy I need(want) something that adds a old-school transponder in the mix. I'm not going to be making any coast-to-coast trips in my drifter but I would really like to have something affordable that will trigger any old crash avoidance detector when the other guy is a bit distracted because his little princess just puked all over the instrument panel. Hopefully the product designers are reading this...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  5. Oct 20, 2017 #25

BJC

BJC

BJC

6. Oct 20, 2017 #26

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

7. Oct 20, 2017 #27

BJC

BJC

BJC

That is a promising box. Add a compliant (WAAS enabled) GPS and a mode C transponder and you are in business.

BJC

8. Oct 20, 2017 #28

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

$1,500 and you still need a transponder to go with it. Not my idea of "cheap."

9. Oct 20, 2017 #29

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Not really my idea of cheap either, but if you need one of these you probably already have a Mode C? Compared to what was available only a few years ago it is cheap.

BJC likes this.
  10. Feb 17, 2019 #30

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

ok back to the OP.....anyone tried this?

11. Feb 18, 2019 #31

TFF

TFF

TFF

The GPS has to be one approved for ADSB by the FAA. Internal or external.

12. Feb 18, 2019 #32

Dana

Dana

Dana

For ADSB-out, yes. For in only, you can use anything you want. Lots of people are using the low cost Stratux (prebuilt or in kit form) with Avare for in only.

13. Feb 18, 2019 #33

TFF

TFF

TFF

ADSB IN is so 2017. I know of no one really flying caring about that today as there maybe only one or two units that are out only. The majority come with In/Out at every price point. Just in a UL wanting In, all the stratus boxes will be free or $20 once 2020 hits because the upgrade made them obsolete.

14. Feb 18, 2019 #34

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Most minimalist fun-flyer airplanes don't need ADSB, period.

15. Feb 18, 2019 #35

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

I just added the SkyBeacon....no ads-b in.....but yes others that have ADS-b-In with their units will maybe unload their stratus boxes.....Was thinking about this OP unit with Avare for traffic only..... the price is right and it just might do the job......The problem with most all the other units is they use Foreflight or Garmin Pilot. I still use my Garmin 196 and do not feel like replacing with a tablet or learning a new software. Old people do not like change.

Pops likes this.
  16. Feb 18, 2019 #36

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

They will in my airspace

17. Feb 18, 2019 #37

Pops

Pops

Pops

You are right, hurts my head. :)

Topaz likes this.
  18. Feb 18, 2019 #38

Grelly

Grelly

Grelly

I have. I visit the USA for 1-2 weeks each year to fly my socks off. I use Avare when I'm in there because it's free :) I have to say, for a free app, it's pretty darn good. A few things aren't as intuitive as I would like, but what can I say... It's free.

I got interested in the $10 USB ADS-B receiver idea while there, and when I got back to the U.K. I found one that worked with Avare (on Amazon). It cost a bit more than $10 though. I paid about £40 for the device. It worked although I was slightly underwhelmed by the reception (seemed like about a 2 mile range). I live right underneath Gatwick, so I expected to see a lot more than I did. So I upgraded the aerial for £6. It made a huge difference. I'm now getting a range of about 100 miles.

I haven't managed to get anything useful from the weather dongle though. That is possibly because of USA/UK differences. I'll try again when I next visit the USA.

proppastie likes this.
  19. Feb 18, 2019 #39

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Sometimes age brings wisdom ... sometimes it brings stubbornness. :gig:

Most of where I fly I do not need a transponder and won't need ADS-B. I recently installed a transponder with encoder and have plans to do the ADS-B "out" upgrade in the near future (currently have Stratux ADS-B in). There are a few reasons for this. First I do live in an area where there can be considerable traffic depending on where one is going. Flight following is a wonderful thing and most anyone using it has to admit that many times you will be made aware of traffic that your "see & avoid" technique did not locate until being notified by ATC and still may not have seen even after notification.

I do have fellow pilots that live inside a mode C veil & under class B airspace. By law (Yes ... I'm a law abiding citizen) ADS-B out will be required to enter these spaces in the near future. My plane was built with a fully functioning electrical system so there is no reason for me not to be properly outfitted as per the regs.

A couple of weeks ago I flew into Tennessee with a friend in his recently upgraded Rockwell Commander. I was quite taken with the accuracy of ADS-B in/out and the information presented. There are some who feel such watchfulness is an invasion of privacy and I tend to agree. But in this high tech world you are not hidden. I won't get into all the ways that you are tracked everyday but anyone with a computer, smart phone, debit/credit card, bank account, modern automobile, etc., must know that all this data is being tracked and collected.

I just wish that when government is gonna require things like this they could at least embrace the the reasonable cost side of it. Currently with a transponder installed it will cost about $1400 to get to where I need to be. There are some rebates left in the FAA program that can save $500 and some manufacturers are giving some incentives so I may get it done for under a grand.

If I lived in the woods and only flew locally for fun I might reconsider. But for those wanting to do a bit of traveling it seems that the ADS-B thing is probably going to be a bullet that needs to be bitten.

YMMV ... but I doubt it.

Dale
    N319WF

20. Feb 18, 2019 #40

Pops

Pops

Pops

A man from Norway keeps a Piper J-3 Cub on our grass field and stops by for about 3 or 4 days on his business trips 2 or 3 times a year and fly's from daylight until dark each day. IA on the field has the J-3 ready for him when he arrives.