[Cheap] 96" Leaf Brake

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

imamac96

Did anyone else notice Mittler Bros. has a 96" leaf brake? I just noticed it: 2800-9622S
I've been pricing materials to build a mac's machine brake, but this model is about the same. It comes with a 1/2" radius bar, but it doesn't seem like too much trouble to manufacture a 1/8" radius bar.
It also has a 0.040" limit on aluminum, but usually, limits are for a shorter length than the full brake from what I've seen.
There's not much information online, so I assume this is relatively new to market.
Does anyone have any more details?

Thanks

Pops

Supporting Member
Built the 8' Mac brake. Its a good brake. Never did put any counter weights on it. Used it to make the Bearhawk spar webs. Bending the BH main spar webs in the pictures for another BH builder. Also had a very heavy 4' finger brake.

Attachments

• DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    321.5 KB · Views: 0

imamac96

Pops,

Yes, I have plans for the MM brake. I'd like to build one, but there are a lot of people who are unable to build one, so I'm trying to think about how those people would get around that. I'm very tempted to buy one of those straight brakes to see about making a new leading edge form with 1/4" rod instead for a 1/8" radius. It doesn't seem that difficult to do, and the straight brake doesn't seem to cost too much more than building an MM brake.

The MM plans are a bit old-school CAD, and not the easiest to read. I'm drawing it in CAD before I build one because honestly, I still don't understand how the CAM mechanisms on the sides are all linked up no matter how many pictures I look at. I have no issues building one, but I am a little concerned about my ability to make accuracy over 8'.
Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 10.46.11.png

Pops

Supporting Member
We bent all the 8' spar webs for 2 Bearhawks . 8'x .040 , 2024-T-3 and they came out perfect. We built it with all cold roll plate. Its a lot of work but worth it.