• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Charging iPhone causes radio Interference (hand held radio)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downs

It seems that plugging in my iPhone to charge it while in flight causes some radio interference. It basically causes the channel to open on the receive side and I just get flooded with static. I can still hear people come on the channel and I can still transmit just fine but other than that the static gets very distracting.

I use the phone for Foreflight. I can get about 2 hours of flight time out of it before it gets to the point I need to plug in for a charge.

Pretty sure I need a shielded cable as I think the charging cable is basically becoming an Antenna when I plug the phone into it. Either that or I need to wrap some tin foil around it haha:whistle:

It should also be noted that I run the rubber ducky antenna on my radio at the moment. I'm going to be going by radio shack this week and picking up the components to build an external antenna that I'll probably mount on the kingpost. Not sure if this will help or not.

Anyone else have any ideas? I would appreciate it.

Back