• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Charging, Batteries, motors, mixed fuel motor combos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Supporting Member
Have been noodling on a platform that would use a small high revving but quiet motor, some sort of rotary generator, a battery array, and a combination of electric motors.

My complete lack of understanding electrically in generator/alternator technology needs some guidance. So I was hoping someone could run through how to size a generator/alternator specification to a power source (internal combustion engine) and to a battery array and an electric motor for different mission profiles so I can play what ifs with available technology.

Right now I am trying to work backwards from existing electric prop drive motors like Joby and forward from existing generator technology like aviation and automotive light weight alternators/generators either 12v or 24v.

This could apply to both high efficiency aircraft and roadables.

My first pass is that you could put say 4 or more alternators on an accessory belt drive on the front of a small modern 2 stroke and get a ton of continuous output power for very little weight.

For now I am talking about only off the shelf stuff with maybe a custom power controller in between all the components to make it all work.

Back