• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Chapter 2 My own horn tootage, and the Ultimate Go Machine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Coughlin

Chapter 2

Before I talk about the Mexican thing I will digress, because I believe to be important to the younger readers. As mentioned before, Robert Colliers` book The Secret of the Ages - the expanded version - can be found on Amazon, was the impetus for me to complete N743TC.

A poem found on page 8, says it all.
“You can do as much as you think you can,
But you’ll never accomplish more;
If you’re afraid of yourself, young man,
There is little for you in store.
For failure comes from the inside first,
It’s there if we only knew it,
And you can win, though you face the worse,
If you feel that you’re going to do it.
----Edgar A Guest
C.W. “MOVER” Lemoine attest to the same philosophy in several of his YouTube episodes; My Vision Wasn’t Good Enough to Be a Fighter Pilot, and Five Myths of Becoming a Fighter Pilot are two examples. He also can be found (along with other military and commercial pilots) at Facebook.com/groups/makethemtellyouno.
OK back to the story.
Since Vern Dave and I, had been instructed by “Nuts” & “Ram” in formation flying, we were comfortable flying close to one other, so all we had to do was to concentrate on the routine. We practiced, at least two days a week for a month, and it should have been more! David Orr & John Graves flew the "solo routine” and they were responsible to practice well solo. The solo guys joined us for a ½ day practice, very near the time to head south. Mark with his command of Spanish was designated to be our ground Commentator.

Guadalajara Mexico.
Least I forget, all our expenses were gratis, I believe paid by the city of Guadalajara. I’m not sure of this fact because Mark took care of all administrative chores. All I know it didn’t cost me one red cent.

One must remember that in 1990, the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) was not in effect and did not take effect until 1/1/1994. Of course, Mexico had yet to reap the benefits. Today their economy has grown to be rated by the UN as the15th highest GDP in the world. Ahead of Switzerland, the Netherlands, Austria, and a couple hundred other countries. But like any other country, abject poverty still exists.

With my responsibilities as PIC, my perspective of the scape below was but a fleeting glance, I could have been wrong, but especially in the NE section of the city, a few of the houses we flew over appeared not to have roofs, but also the structure noted may have been walled in back yards. I checked Google Earth (GE) today and, in some cases, but not as many, it appears to still be the case. The thing to look for while on GE is if the roads are somewhat paved, and there is an abundance of cars. One can expect to see roofs on all.

When we arrived at the old but very VERY nice hotel, we were treated cordially but nothing special. After our first show we arrived back at the hotel things had changed drastically. We were now being treated like royalty. Returning to my room there was a clue to the reason for the change. On the bed was a package from the mayor with all kinds of goodies, including a gold lapel pin, welcoming us to Guadalajara.

The President and VP of the aero club gave us a home cooked dinner/party. There they presented us with mementos signifying the event. A not totally drunk good time was had by all. Eight hours bottle to throttle rule was in effect.

We patterned the routine after the Navy Blues and the Air Force Thunderbirds. In fact, the Thunderbirds had performed there just the year before. So, we had a tough act to follow.

The EZ’s wings are not symmetrical, so sustained inverted flight was not part of the show The Diamond 4 pilots were Bill Ortell flying lead in his O235 Very EZ, Vern Simon #2 in a O320 powered Long EZ, Dave Ronneberg slot in his O320 Long, and me in my O320 Long took #3.

We flew approximately 1/2-hour daily air shows for one week, two years in a row. The first year we were at the Guadalajara Airport giving rides when not flying the show. The Kid’s Museum is in the extreme North of Guadalajara while the airport is south of the city, 13.8 miles of the most exciting and frustrating driving one will experience on a public road. It is a good thing that we kept our butts at the airport until the traffic died down.

The second year the gaggle had grown by three maybe four EZ's (Hell! give me a break it’s only been 31 years). And I don’t remember what they did while the team flew the routine. Gave rides maybe?

At some time during the trip, we were treated with another, but larger dinner/party. The guest list was expanded to include all the folks that worked at the museum as well as all the aero club members. Again, a great time was had by all. The wine beer and booze flowed, but again the eight hours bottle to throttle rule was in effect. During the party we were told about a bar in the city that had an unusual ritual for guest that were celebrating something. Four of the biggest waiters would wait till the intended target was not so, but just enough, inebriated - it was a timing thing. The target had to still have their wits/balance about them. They would then sneak up on said target. Each waiter would grab a leg of the targets’ chair, lift them to about shoulder height, and parade around the bar, while confetti and noise makers were employed. Of course, I replied “sounds like a crazy and dangerous thang, count me in”. Since the weather had turned for the worse the bottle to throttle rule was suspended. I don’t remember anyone getting to point of having to call Europe on the big white telephone, but there was this one guy that left early; hailed a taxi, and when he arrived at the hotel, he paid the taxi bill, plus a tip. When the driver thanked him vociferously, he realized that he had just given the driver what was possibly the biggest tip of his life, a $50. We, meaning me, have not let him forget.

After one of the shows the Mexican Air Force picked us up in Bell Jet rangers and flew us back to the Museum. When we got there the kids were lined up 4 or 5 deep for about 100 yards down the fence line. The look on each of the kid's faces was one of awe mixed with gratitude. Most stood there with mouth agape. I will never forget the look in their eyes. Of course, we were in our patched-out in our US Military Nomex flight suits. As luck would have it, one of the interested parties that had begun to hang around HNTW was an armature photo guy who had ridden along to our practice area and got a good photo of the finger 4 formation: in a turn, low to the ground, canopy toward the camera, with mountains as a backdrop. I had made about 1,000 copies of the black & white photo and we gave them to the kids. Plus, the Guadalajara Aero Club made extra copy's when we ran out.

That year we also flew the routine at the Mexican Air Force Air Base, NE of Guadalajara, near the town of Tequila. Yes, this is the town where they make the original real Tequila with the worm. Additionally, the Governor of Nayarit invited us to Puerto Vallarta. Talk about a target rich environment!!! Of course, we had to bring along; our patched-out flight suits, airplanes and fly the routine. But again, the royal treatment was provided, including the tricked-out Governor’s bus. The bus, with its red Velveteen ceiling walls and floor, plus red trimmed black naugahyd seats, was a bit of culture shock. But that’s OK with me, for that the style is inbred in their culture. Someone might demean me about my fire engine red 55 Chevy (Oh how I wish I had that car back!). Who am I but just a Tennessee hillbilly to disparage anyone?

And then there was a trip to Guanajuato where there is no airport. So, we flew to Leon with our Aero Club host in the back seats. Two vans were driven by other Aero Club members for the 250 klick’s (2.5 hrs.) from Guadalajara to Leon. Just outside the city of Leon is one of Mexico’s mountain top statues of Christ. The drive to Guanajuato is 32 klick’s and takes about 40 minutes according to Google Maps. Then, one entered the city via a tunnel/drainage ditch, but I see via Google earth that they have added a freeway system so, this may no longer be the case. Parts of Guanajuato is in a mountainous area and some areas were built on top of previous existing settlements, so it was economically prudent to use the existing road system of the past.

On the way to the city center we stopped at the statue of Al Pipila.

The following is my heavily edited version of the quite fanciful story provided by the Guanajuato City website El Pipila Story History

The El Papila monument in Guanajuato celebrates the hero of the first victory during the Mexican independence struggle. During birth delivery in 1783 Juan Amaro experienced severe complications which lead to learning and physical disabilities, including a strange walking motion. Later, while working in the silver mines he was given the El Pipila (the turkey) nickname due to his unusual gate.

Sometimes in history the most insignificant people have the moments to become heroes and legends as El Pipila did.

El Pipila’s moment came during the early stages of the independence movement. The Spaniards feared the tension in the Guanajuato region and barricaded themselves in the “Alhondiga de Granaditas”. The structure was built as the city’s grain storage facility, but the solid stonewalls which had the suitable vantage points for archers and musketeers to repel attackers made it a sensible defensive position.

The Spaniard’s plan was to maintain their position until reinforcements could arrive to quell the rioters. This appeared feasible until El Pipila strapped a large stone on his back, picked up a bucket of tar and grabbed a flaming torch and ran at the only weak point of the structure, the solid wooden door. Once at the door he coated it with tar and set alight; the fire weakened the door, the smoke limited the sight of the archers and musketeers, the rioters rushed and forced open the door, attacked the defenders, killing all, liberating the treasures that had been hoarded by the Spanish.

This fist victory inspired the masses and enhanced the Mexican independence movement. The El Pipila tale spread like wildfire and encouraged peasants to revolt. If a lowly crippled miner could rise up so could the entire nation. Years later the Spanish were driven out of Mexico allowing the Silver Barons to fill the void, with still more oppression.

As a side note, the silver from Guanajuato area mines was instrumental in the Louisiana Purchase. In 1770, the Spanish owned Louisiana Territory economy was in deep trouble due to the paper money not being backed by silver or gold. Sounds familiar? The King of Spain decided to replace the currency with silver coins minted in Mexico City. Some of that silver came from the Guanajuato. On Oct. 20, 1773, the EL Cazador (The Hunter) was sent by the then King Charles III to Veracruz New Spain (Mexico) on a mission that the ship was to be loaded with 40,000 Spanish reales (Pieces of Eight) and 50,000 pesos of smaller denomination or 37,000 troy lbs. of silver. On Jan. 11, 1784, left Veracruz for New Orleans and vanished, until Aug. 2, 1993, when it was discovered fifty miles south of New Orleans.

In 1801 Spain past ownership of New Spain back to France. The story of why gets really twisted here but suffice it to say in the 1803 deal with Napoleon, Thomas Jefferson bought the roughly 828,000 square miles for $27,267,622 or $0.03 an acre. Initially it was thought that the deal was unconstitutional, but the Senate approved the purchase.

That’s enough for today. More coming soon.

Tom “Hoots” Coughlin

Where the mind has gone the body will follow.

Back