Changing Microsoft Word files to BMP ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

ekimneirbo

Banned
While not directly a HBA subject, I imagine I'm not the only HBAer who would like to convert some of my Microsoft Word files (which contain aircraft related information) over to BMP (or ?) files where its easier to share them with others.

Anyone know a simple way to do it ?

bmcj

HBA Supporter
In Windows, do a screen print (ctrl+alt+PrintScreen) and paste it into MSPaint to trim and save, or search for MS Snipping Tool (it's probably already loaded in Windows) and snip the parts of the pages you want; you can save straight from the snipping tool or paste it into Paint to modify it.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why would you want to do this? BMP is an image file (just a "picture" of the page), so the text will no longer be editable. Most everybody has a program nowadays that can read Word files.

Dana

cheapracer

Log Member
Word files are quite small, if you have a large Word file with pictures then it's because of those pictures.

The only way to reduce the file size is to reduce the picture size by saving them, deleting them off the Word file, resizing them and lastly re-adding them where they were again.

Another way is to load the pictures to Photobucket etc, and putting the hyperlinks in the Word document.

ekimneirbo

Banned
Why would you want to do this? BMP is an image file (just a "picture" of the page), so the text will no longer be editable. Most everybody has a program nowadays that can read Word files.

Dana
I had some old Microsoft Office and Microsoft word programs on my computer many years and many computers ago. I no longer have
Office available but still have "Word" files. As the various versions of operating systems have come and gone, my word documents switched over to an Icon that looks like a big manila envelope. When I click on the Icon, my computer offers me a chance to purchase Microsoft Office. I found that if I click on "Open With" I can open many of the documents with "Word". Usually they are finished items that I just want to send to someone else for information, so being in a picture format makes it easier. I have no idea if office would be helpful to me because I got tired of Microsoft continually making programs
outdated just so they could sell you a new version. Right now I just print files out and then scan them but that's pretty inefficient, so looking for some way to get around the printing.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I had some old Microsoft Office and Microsoft word programs on my computer many years and many computers ago. I no longer have
Office available but still have "Word" files. As the various versions of operating systems have come and gone, my word documents switched over to an Icon that looks like a big manila envelope. When I click on the Icon, my computer offers me a chance to purchase Microsoft Office. I found that if I click on "Open With" I can open many of the documents with "Word". Usually they are finished items that I just want to send to someone else for information, so being in a picture format makes it easier. I have no idea if office would be helpful to me because I got tired of Microsoft continually making programs
outdated just so they could sell you a new version. Right now I just print files out and then scan them but that's pretty inefficient, so looking for some way to get around the printing.
OK, I'm a little confused. If you are opening in Word, then you have Microsoft Office (at least the word portion of it). As long as it still works for your documents, then I don't see the need to convert them. Depending on which version of Word you have, you may not be able to open newer word doc versions. Is the "Word" you are talking about a non-Microsoft program using the same name?

ekimneirbo

Banned
OK, I'm a little confused. If you are opening in Word, then you have Microsoft Office (at least the word portion of it). As long as it still works for your documents, then I don't see the need to convert them. Depending on which version of Word you have, you may not be able to open newer word doc versions. Is the "Word" you are talking about a non-Microsoft program using the same name?
I have several Microsoft programs still available on my computer. Word,Excel,Outlook,PowerPoint are available from my old purchase. Microsoft Office does not appear to be an option that's available, but the programs I want (mentioned above) are there...so see no reason to repurchase Office. Its just annoying whenever I click on the word document Icon (manila folder) that it doesn't just open with word. Instead I get the advertisement to purchase a new version of Microsoft Office. Then I close it and have to go through the "Open With" series of clicks. Anyway to just make Word open it when I click on it ? The ads get annoying............

M

Manticore

Well, as another option WPS Office is freeware and reads and write MS Office files. As well as saving files in PDF format.
Never come across that one before. Most people I know use OpenOffice (nearly 700,000 downloads in the last 7 days) or LibreOffice (a fork of OpenOffice). Many export formats including PDF & makes pretty good web pages too.

Really can't understand anybody using BMP. I would have considered it obsolete 20 years ago. If the OP absolutely *must* use an image format then the best choice is PNG which is readable by pretty near everything

Last edited by a moderator:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Anyway to just make Word open it when I click on it ? The ads get annoying............
When you choose "open with", one of the options should be "set default program". Choose that and then pick Word (or navigate to Word if you don't see it as an option). That should set files of that extension to open with Word, and it should also change the icon to something that represents Word.

FWSwe

BMP files are a long way from being easy to share with others. Use a PDF printer to make a PDF file, or if it's just the pictures that are interesting, then save the file in HTML format. Check in the directory that has the same name as the file you saved, and check for JPG and PNG files. Saving to HTML in Word will automatically create large and small versions of your pictures, and save them to sub directories.

ekimneirbo

Banned
When you choose "open with", one of the options should be "set default program". Choose that and then pick Word (or navigate to Word if you don't see it as an option). That should set files of that extension to open with Word, and it should also change the icon to something that represents Word.
Dang, you are a genius......or nearly so. It didn't work exactly that way, but then I tried a right click and clicked on "properties". It had "open with" and "change". Clicked on change and now all of them are again "Word" documents instead of just .doc

To explain a little further to all the people who responded. I have a LARGE repository of saved documents, articles from magazines that were scanned, pictures that were scanned, reference material that was scanned. This was all started by me a long time ago when all of the newer formats did not exist. I can vaguely remember all the difficulties surrounding trying to convert something from one format to another. I'm still not good at deciding which of the newer formats might work better or what the differences might be. Today many things I might want to save are directly downloadable from the internet....but when I started collecting all the stuff I wanted to save, you couldn't do it that way. Also, some of the stuff has never been put on the net
because its older and or forgotten about. Anyway, the basic explanation is that I have a couple of external hard drives that I can quickly locate information on for my own reference, or often to send to someone looking for specialized info. Hope that explains my reasons better.:)

PS: I think the basic problem was that Microsoft decided to quit recognizing my old version of Word and they wanted everyone to upgrade (buy) new Office versions to do so. Whatever is reading my old Word documents now is doing it just fine since I made the change noted above.

timberwolf8199

Well, dang...I for one am very disappointed in this thread. I've had pictures decode improperly and result in pages upon pages of alphanumeric characters. I saw the title and was hoping someone was going to do the opposite. Kind of a..."let's see what type of image this liturgy on fluid mechanics becomes," type of thing.

M

Manticore

Well, dang...I for one am very disappointed in this thread. I've had pictures decode improperly and result in pages upon pages of alphanumeric characters. I saw the title and was hoping someone was going to do the opposite. Kind of a..."let's see what type of image this liturgy on fluid mechanics becomes," type of thing.
Easy enough to write something like that. Most text would just look like noise & the images would be quite small unless you used whole books. For example: One page of text is about 2 KiloBytes - 100 pages in 32 bit colour would give you an image 250*200 pixels.