Change user name?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Hi, I would like to change my user name to harmonize my "identity" between multiple groups. How can I do that myself, or who should I contact to make that request? Cheers, Matthew

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Hi Matthew,

The registered users don't have the ability to change their user name at will, for obvious reasons relating to how that ability might be abused. In general we discourage people changing their username after they've been posting for a while - it gets confusing for other members, even when your intentions are the best.

As a "regular" moderator, I don't have the ability to change it for you, either. I've tagged your post to the other moderators in hopes that one of the "supermoderators" may see it and have that capability, or the forum IT manager Nathan. Jake almost certainly has the ability, but work-related travel has had him out of contact with the internet for several months. If one of the mods (or Nathan) has that ability, I've asked them to PM you when they have a chance.

In the end, the only way you can do this yourself is to start a new profile from scratch. Keeping the same avatar, signature, and referencing your old user name in the new signature line will keep confusion to a minimum for the other members. If we can change your username for you, I'd suggest still adding the reference to your sigline about the old address - everyone else knows you by your current name.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Thanks, Topaz. I'd be happy to add a reference to the current name and keep my avatar. I'd rather change my current one vs. start a new one--that way, all my old posts are still me, only the name will cahnge. I have been able to harmonize my various IDs on other groups, only this one is left.

NathanF

Hi, I would like to change my user name to harmonize my "identity" between multiple groups. How can I do that myself, or who should I contact to make that request? Cheers, Matthew
Send me a Private Message with the desired username please.

ke1dzyne

Hello Nathan, I would like to change my username from Keith Elkington to ke1dzyne. Can you do that for me? If not, how do I do it? Thanks.
Keith

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Hello Nathan, I would like to change my username from Keith Elkington to ke1dzyne. Can you do that for me? If not, how do I do it? Thanks.
Keith
We’ll see if Nathan can help, but since this is your only post since joining, it would be easy for you to just create a new user account with the name you want and ignore this old account.

By the way, where in central Cali are you?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nathan is gone, but yeah, just create a new account, then we'll delete the old one.

ke1dzyne

Dana, OK...I'm back with a new identity. I feel like a spy now, with multiple identities. Please delete my Keith Elkington account. Thanks.
Keith

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Keith
I can do that, no need to make a new member as I'll just have to combine them into one.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Nathan is gone, but yeah, just create a new account, then we'll delete the old one.
Please do not create new accounts, just send a message and I can change names for you. And we don't delete members, we can deactivate or merge them into the new account.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please do not create new accounts, just send a message and I can change names for you. And we don't delete members, we can deactivate or merge them into the new account.
Sorry, I suggested that since he only had one post in the old account.

BJC, Nathan was a consultant hired by Jake to run things while he was away. "Admin" now is also the admin of the biplane forum, though we're running on a different model here than BPF's new model.