Quantcast

challenger 2 vrs excalibur?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Caltard13

don't know if I'm pulling a scab off a wound here, but I'm hoping for opinions / experiences here.

so im looking for something fun and relatively safe to just mess around with.
If i was smart, i'd probably just buy skypilots RV3 for sale here. But I was starting to gravitate toward the challenger 2 - seems like a good fit. but in doing my research, I come across people who swear it is the bees knees, and others say its crap!

I was particulalry concerned with the oft mentioned lack of flaps, and the size of the vertical stab etc.

Going further, i came across the excalibur - that seems to be a very similar plane, but it does have flaps, has shock absorbing landing gear, uses a gearbox instead of belt drive, plus you seem to get alot more stuff as standard equipment as opposed to Challenger (seeming to bleed you dry if you want to upscale). stuff like electric start, bigger control surfaces at the rear etc. come free or mucgh hceaper on the excalibur.

anyone care to chime in here?

thanks in advance
Carl Johansson
Auberry Ca.

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I figured I'd chime in a tell you what I think. I see tons of Challenger 2 on the web for sale in many stage's of airworthiness but it is seldom you will see a Excalibur up for offer. Gear box has its pro's and con's as does cog belt. So I guess like most buyers it depends on the deal you can get and location/condition. FWIW P.S. welcome to the HBA

Daleandee

don't know if I'm pulling a scab off a wound here, but I'm hoping for opinions / experiences here.
There is a lot of internet stories & rivalry between these two. I owned a CH2CWS and is was a really neat airplane to fly. I was a AFI instructor (back in the day) and flew a host of Challengers of every type. They are great airplanes and the success is seen in the numbers of Challengers sold. My current hangar buddy has a two seat long wing Challenger.

For flaps, larger tail surfaces, gear box redrive, and tougher landing gear you should take a look at the CGS Hawk. I owned a single seat version with a 447 Rotax and it was a blast to fly. Flaps were not need but were very good at enhancing the flight experience. A friend would fly his Hawk down the runway in ground effect and full flaps so slow it looked like walking speed. The Hawk can also be had in a tail wheel or nose roller version.

Dale
N319WF

Last edited:

Scarecrow56

To put in my 2 cents. I have long looked at both and the biggest thing that I see is price. You can get a used CHII for less than 10K and an EX, if you can find one used, will be double that or more. I'm pretty sure EX's come with a 4 stroke and CH only have a 2 stroke. Kinda boils down to where do you feel more comfortable. CH has a great safety record.