• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

CH 750 upgrade ideas - feed back please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbarnes

So, I've got it in my head I'm going to build a CH 750 and change some of things I dont like about it and looking for some knowledgeable feed back.
Slow and steady and do lots of research on how to do what I want before starting

1.) figure ways of shedding weight without changing the design
2.) strengthen the cabin for some rollover protection without adding weight - or as little as possible
3.) cub style rear main landing gear with AOSS suspension struts
4.) make it even more STOL - dont think this is possible or even worth worrying about since it's already capable of sub 35mph stall speeds...... but open for ideas

1.) shedding weight without designing a new plane
Would it be worth the effort to try making the rudder, horz tail and slats out of foam core carbon or glass to save weight over aluminum spar/rib construction ?
Pros ? Cons ?
Same for the fiberglass cowl ?
Other ideas ?

2.) roll over and crash protection
The CH 750 has a partial steel tube frame up front. I was thinking of trying to box it out around the cabin interior, or if possible to save weight using some kind of carbon fiber structure to reinforce the right areas
Other ideas ?

3.) enhance landing gear design
The CH 750 uses the tried and true and rugged and HEAVY sprung leaf main landing gear. I was thinking it should not be that hard to adapt it to a cub hinged main gear style with the AOSS dampers.
Am I right in thinking that this should provide a substantial weight savings over the thick aluminum leaf spring that is the original design ? This should also dramatically improve ground ride and landing shock absorption --- correct ?

Viking aircraft already has a nose spring upgrade that replaces the bungee with a heavy duty spring
Zenith parts

Thanks

Back