• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

CG range vs gross weight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantR

On a Cessna 150 C The center of gravity moment envelope runs from around 35.5 at 1100 pounds to 54 at 1500 pounds . This gives the airplane a cg arm range of 32 to 36 inches from the datum point through out this range.

Now if this airplane is loaded say 500 pounds over gross that would yield a gross weight of 2000# and a moment of 72 which still has the plane within the CG arm range of 32 to 36. At 36 arm the same as at the 1500# weight.
Would this airplane still be within the cg limits even though it is excessively over weight or would it be excessively tail heavy?

I was talking to a friend earlier and we do not agree on this. I think the plane would still be within the CG limits. He thinks the plane would become tail heavy. The main argument we had was he thinks it would fly but would not recover from a stall.

His argument is that there is more weight for the tail to have to lift. So in a stall he thinks the plane would not likely recover due to there now being 250# of extra weight for the horizontal stab to have to lift. He gets the 250# from the fact that there is now 1000 pounds balanced on each side of the CG rather than 750 pound on each side at the 1500 pound gross.

I do not see the weight gain as being relative since the weight is still balanced at the same arm distance for the 2 weights. So I think the plane would recover from a stall normally meaning the horizontal stab would not have to over come any extra weight to pitch the plane over.

Thanks,
Grant

Back