• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

CF composite part 103. Possible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviator168

Been gathering data and doing some calculation for a CF composite part 103. Here is what I got so far

. Engine. mount & prop weight < 60 lbs that will probably land me 25 horses. I can probably do better with a two stroke.
. 125 ft^2 removable wing weighting less than 75 lbs. I estimated using solid core (blue foam, Rutan style) construction with flaperons.

That leave me 119 lbs for the fuse and the tail. Here is the question. Is it possible to build a fuse + tail within that weight limit for a LSA aircraft? I am trying to kill two birds with one stone here. The goal is to build a part 103 first, and when I am tire of it, replace the wing and the engine, then register it as a ELSA. If the answer is yes. The next question is. Is it possible to build a fuse that has enough room spared for a second upholstery for later conversion to a tandem ELSA? Your thoughts?

BTW. It is also acceptable if structural re-enforcement is required in the conversion process without any cutting.

Back