• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Certification of Vertical Take Off Vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne

Folks -
One of the young ladies who came up through my EAA Chapter, and who used to hang out at the maintenance shop here on the weekends, has gone to a major university to pursue Aeronautical Engineering. I'm super proud of her because she liked being "hands on" as she felt it would help her design equipment that people could actually "work on" versus being beautifully engineered but not practical....

As an early project she and her team are working on building a vehicle that will weigh about 210 pounds when completed, and is a prototype for a man carrying vehicle, but won't carry humans as it is a concept at this time.

She asked me how they would go about registering such a vehicle and that's where I got stuck. My first thought was that it would be an ultralight, but since it's not carrying people that means it would probably fall into the "drone" category. That means it would need to be registered with the FAA as a drone since it is over 55 pounds. Is that all we are talking about here, or perhaps I'm missing something obvious?

Thanks for any insight.

Wayne

Last edited:
Back