• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Certificated to experimental for leading edge cuffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petehdgs

Years ago I read about a Cherokee 140 owner who wanted to experiment with Vortex Generators, which at the time were a new idea. He converted his certificated airplane to experimental so he could do his research on his own plane. Now Vortex generators are available for all kinds of applications on certificated aircraft.

I find myself in a similar situation and would like to ask your advice. I have a Mooney M20E and would like to improve its slow speed and stall performance, without sacrificing cruise speed or fuel economy. Vortex Generators are available but cruise speed and economy both suffer somewhat. Harry Riblett has the answer in his book GA airfoils, a leading edge cuff to correct the shortcomings of the NACA 6x series of airfoils. (See attached) Leading edge cuffs are available for a lot of certificated airplanes for STOL applications, but not for my Mooney.

To be fair, I am not looking for true STOL performance, just better low speed and stall performance than I have now. Correcting the airfoil seems like a good idea if it is possible, which appears to be the case. I am asking your advice on the best way to proceed, if at all. Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201130-081222_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201130-081222_Drive.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20201129-111650_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201129-111650_Drive.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 56
Back