Ceramic Seals

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jman

Site Developer
Does anyone have any info on the cost and availability of ceramic seals for the rotary? I got into a conversation at the last local EAA meeting and I didn't really have any facts. Does anyone know if anyone is flying with them? Thanks.

Jake

orion

Hi Jake;

It's been a while since I talked to Dennis (Hayes at Hayes Rotary Engineering) but from what I remember, the ceramic seals are not recommended for any application and even many auto rebuilders convert their engines from the ceramic units to the mild steel ones. The ceramic seals' characteristics allow them to chatter more readily than the mild steel units and, being ceramic, they are more brittle and more likely to fail.

For more detailed information, probably the best qualified person to talk to about rotaries in the US is Dennis Hayes. He's located in Redmond WA.

Jman

Site Developer
Hmm...I'll have to do some research. I was doing some reading the other day (can't remember where) and it seemed like the ceramic seals were being touted as the cats' meow. The article I was reading was claiming enormous gains in wear resistance although it did not mention robustness exactly. Thanks for the input Orion. I'll look into the sources you mentioned.

Jake

John Slade

I've heard some talk of ceramic seals. Not sure if anyone's run them in an airplane yet. I decided to go with standard materials but increased width (3mm).

Group Builder