Celera 500l Progress

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rv6ejguy

HBA Supporter
Lots of snobbery there too with status being the main driver. A Navajo might do the job but that doesn't rank as high as a King Air and that not as high as a Lear. Some companies and individuals have large excesses of money and don't care about initial or operating costs. TBM has been very successful with singles costing upwards of $4M but they wouldn't be there with a piston engine up front IMO.

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Lots of snobbery there too with status being the main driver. A Navajo might do the job but that doesn't rank as high as King Air and that not as high as a Lear. Some companies and individuals have large excesses of money and don't care about initial or operating costs. TBM has been very successful with singles costing upwards of $4M but they wouldn't there with a piston engine up front IMO.
“Executive ego” drives aircraft selection to bigger, faster, plusher.

BJC

rv6ejguy

HBA Supporter

BJC
Indeed, I got a 2 hour tour of a new Global 6500 a couple months ago from my friend. It's the nicest thing I've ever sat in by far. All this to transport 6 pax in opulent comfort... Excessive for sure but **** nice if you have the bucks, which they do. It was beautifully made. Engineering sculpture.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Indeed, I got a 2 hour tour of a new Global 6500 a couple months ago from my friend. It's the nicest thing I've ever sat in by far. All this to transport 6 pax in opulent comfort... Excessive for sure but **** nice if you have the bucks, which they do. It was beautifully made. Engineering sculpture.
Tax laws allow corporate transportation to be expensed. In essence, it is paid for by the shareholders.

BJC

Riggerrob

BJC
A salesman once explained to me that TBM are often flown by their owner-operators, self-made men with little patience for other people when they want to travel.
Insurance companies know that impatience also means higher risk, so impose high premiums on aircraft that are certified for single-pilot IFR. Those extra premiums are often so frightfully expensive that it is less expensive to hire a junior co-pilot.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Speaking of corporate ego-driven luxury being paid for by the shareholders...

There was a hilarious sham TV preacher/faith healer named Ernest Angely, who answered the call from the Almighty, a calling which was for him to travel the world and preach the gospel in his own Boeing 747.

Excuse me, I meant to say the 747 that was paid for by his TV audience and church congregation, using money that was no longer available to feed, clothe, or educate their own children.

The late great comedian David Brenner had a great line about this, he would say "This guy collects millions because he can heal the sick, and make crippled people jump up out of their wheelchairs... he can cure cancer and heart disease... but he wears a toupee'... I don't get it..."

Last edited:

rv6ejguy

HBA Supporter
Aviation status pecking order- jet, turboprop twin, turboprop single, piston twin, piston single. Celera fits at the bottom of the list and that will be the biggest problem with acceptance IMO, regardless of performance and fuel burn. How many small carriers are using piston powered aircraft these days outside of planes in remote areas. Corporate even less so. Corporate will choose turbine almost every time because fuel costs don't matter to them much.

Angusnofangus

Speaking of corporate ego-driven luxury being paid for by the shareholders...

There was a hilarious sham TV preacher/faith healer named Ernest Angely, who answered the call from the Almighty, a calling which was for him to travel the world and preach the gospel in his own Boeing 747.

Excuse me, I meant to say the 747 that was paid for by his TV audience and church congregation, using money that was no longer available to feed, clothe, or educate their own children.

The late great comedian David Brenner had a great line about this, he would say "This guy collects millions because he can heal the sick, and make crippled people jump up out of their wheelchairs... he can cure cancer and heart disease... but he wears a toupee'... I don't get it..."

I remember this guy. My wife and I would watch him whenever we needed a good laugh. Didn't know about the 747, but am not surprised he had one.

Riggerrob

Aviation status pecking order- jet, turboprop twin, turboprop single, piston twin, piston single. Celera fits at the bottom of the list and that will be the biggest problem with acceptance IMO, regardless of performance and fuel burn. How many small carriers are using piston powered aircraft these days outside of planes in remote areas. Corporate even less so. Corporate will choose turbine almost every time because fuel costs don't matter to them much.
The other factor limiting popularity of piston engines is the difficulty of purchasing 100 LL aviation gasoline away from major cities. Some lower-compression Lycomings and Continentals can run on 97 octane automobile gas, but higher compression piston engines need higher octane. The farther you get from a major city, the easier it is to standardize on jet fuel.

TFF

There are plenty of airports on this side of the country that don’t have jet. 100LL is the staple. California is not what the rest of the US looks like. The only time I have not seen 100LL at an airport is when the airport doesn’t supply fuel. Then there usually is private tanks that the tenants share.

trimtab

The company claims to have achieved 250 [email protected]'.

Assuming they were producing full rated power and conditions were standard for 15k', then without compressibility and excess power calcs, a flight at 50k' at standard conditions would be giving an IAS of 199 mph. Because of the increase in power required for flight with density altitude, even if the engine can be normalized all the way to 50k' and the prop efficiency is magically constant, I still calculate that these performance claims put cruise at 380mph tops for a similar flight configuration.

That's 30-40 mph faster than the top speed I figured before, when I assumed the prop efficiency would drop to 70% or so.

That is a large enough difference in estimated performance to make me curious enough to pay more attention, even if they were flying the test in a very light configuration. I'm pretty interested to see what I'm missing in all this.

Geraldc

Not available for tracking on flight aware at request of owner.

tspear

That is only true until a CFO sees the numbers. Now CFOs tend to be conservative, which means they will have to prove it some. But if proven, it will give a lot of jets serious issues.

Tim

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
Try this:
It is supposed to collect unfiltered ADS-B track. I couldn't figure out how to pull historical data from it.
It's clunky, but if you search for N818WM on the right side, then on the left side, open up the "History" "+" sign, you can put in a date and search for flights on that date. I put in today's date, then just kept clicking "UTC Date" - "Previous", and was able to find 2 or three flights dating back to 09/29/2021, on which date they did a bunch of pattern work. Just keep clicking "Previous", and you can go back as far as you want, AFAICT. Some of the flights just seem to disappear in space - MAYBE they're turning off their transponder (we won't discuss the legality of that) or the signal just disappears when east of Palmdale.

I also did a search for an N numbered plane that _I_ blocked in the system, and it was also there (if you know the "N" number you're searching for) so as long as the plane's broadcasting on 1090, it seems like it will show up. It does not seem to show 978 broadcasts.