Celera 500l Progress

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

HomeBuilt101

Has anyone heard of any progress on the Celera 500L?

Yes they are super quiet about their operation however there was a great deal of buzz around the prototype flying and a couple of articles/ ScrewTube videos and then silent.

Seems like a nice concept...

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
Probably they attracted the extra interest / investment they needed, and went back to work testing and developing. I haven't heard anything since, either.

henryk

anything since, either.

-some thauts...

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Just looked fake to me. At 2:27 in the video I can’t see anyone in the cockpit or how they could see ahead if there was anyone.

Last edited:

Tiger Tim

Just looked fake to me. At 2:27 in the video I can’t see anyone in the cockpit or how they could see ahead if there was anyone.
I’m guessing this airframe is a bit smaller than we’re all imagining it and the pilot’s head is towards the back end of the windows. I bet the view is terrible but that’s not the point of this machine.

TFF

I think they were flying it.
Wouldn’t be great though if there were two different planes. The one on the ground they walk around and another BD-5 sized one that they are really flying. Conspiracy!

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
It seems fake because no sound, no smoke, no cockpit video of speed…
And do pilots say “November eight one eight whiskey Mike” or just eight one eight whiskey Mike?

TFF

They definitely made a promotion video. If it is fake, it’s the best one out there. I call most of them fake. Sound is usually overly faked; rare I would call anything, on video sound. They did try and make it like a drone took the photos. High dollar production. They have to keep face with a product that is left field for today’s world. 20 years ago, it would have a been big deal.

PMD

Interesting comments by the RAS people. Even if Otto only makes it to 80/90% of his stated goals for the design, it is still LIGHT YEARS ahead of just about anything else in general aviation. IMHO: about as significant to genav as the SR71 was and is to military aviation. Of course, I can't go anywhere near this without "mentioning" it is of course powered by a CI engine - a CERTIFIED CI engine at that.

Magisterol

It seems fake because no sound, no smoke, no cockpit video of speed…
And do pilots say “November eight one eight whiskey Mike” or just eight one eight whiskey Mike?
Well, N818WM is allocated by FAA to Cellera 500l which is designated experimental airplane research and development... I checked. Nothing fake there. But there is no pilot on the cockpit in the video clips. And in The pics that shows the pilot in it, it shows that is sits forward enough to see his head through the side window.

rv6ejguy

HBA Supporter
I'll wait until we see an independent flight test revealing the true performance figures. I don't see many opting for piston power at this price level, regardless of fuel burn advantages and a single may have a hard time in some markets. Turbines rule here and will continue to do so IMO. TBMs and Avantis have been around for years and are well established.

PMD

I'll wait until we see an independent flight test revealing the true performance figures. I don't see many opting for piston power at this price level, regardless of fuel burn advantages and a single may have a hard time in some markets. Turbines rule here and will continue to do so IMO. TBMs and Avantis have been around for years and are well established.
Just looking at what new airplanes are available in this years; marketplace, jets outnumber turboprops what have similar selection of piston twins, with singles being just ahead. Distrubing indeed, but IMHO the reason we see this is the switch to Opium...er....OPM - Other People's Money. As we have allowed our economy to switch from a productive one where business is owned and operated by businessmen and entrepreneurs to one where finance dictates and companies are there only for the M&A golden parachute, corporate money is now more likely to be in the hands of some incredibly privileged and overpaid individuals who have no second thoughts about spending other people's money. As long as there are still some real businesses left, you can bet your bottom dollar that anyone who has actually WORKED for their money is going to give Celera a second look due to the cold hard economics of moving people with your OWN money.

I will give it one big exception: with the kind of mission profile expected I think a twin would sell far more easily. Just imagine an Otto re-configured by Piaggio.