Ceconite 101

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

[email protected]

So I made this small test panel to learn about using Ceconite. The tapes and inspection hole were fairly saturated with Rand-o-Proof but after curing, it looks like air creeped in. I used super seam on the edges and rand-o-proof on the tapes and circular patch. Is there some secret to getting the air out? What did I do wrong? Rand-o-proof thinned 1 to 1 with 286 thinner. Ceconite was shrunk before at 250 degrees.

Attachments

• ceconite 101.jpg
    ceconite 101.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

TFF

More stippling when wet might help. Iron on low heat to stick it back down would be next. I would probably try 1/2 as much thinner for this. I stopped thinning Polybrush when glueing with it.

Pops

Supporting Member
Pre- shrink the round patch before gluing on. If not, when you shrink the fabric with the iron the fabric pulls away from the edge of the ring as it tighten up.

Also when you buy the fabric tape, its already pre-shrunk before cut into rolls. When needing just a small amount of tape and cut your own from some scrap materal, pre-shrink the fabric before cutting, if not, the edges of the tape will pull in where it gets hottest and be wavy.

Last edited: