Quantcast

Cassutt - looking for anyone who knows anything about it

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
If you're ever in Wisconsin and want to page through the binder I'd be more than happy to let you. Maybe Airventure or something?

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Some pretty sad news to report. Giles Henderson died during a skydiving accident, here is the link. http://newschannel20.com/news/local/charleston-man-dies-in-taylorville-skydiving-accident

My son and I were introduced to Giles by our own Ed Fisher here (Airventure). Ed, Henry and I were walking towards the HB area when Ed spotted Giles on final and said 'hey there's a Cassutt coming in". We were able to watch him taxi in and park.

For those who haven't met Giles Henderson he was an absolute salt of the earth unassuming kinda guy who was a pleasure to talk with.

Since Airventure we chatted a couple times and emailed each other. He was thrilled another Cassutt was being built. He emailed me articles he wrote and talked to me about flying procedures.

Giles will be missed by many. He restored and actively flew Pete Meyers old Cassutt at age 74.

Mike

TFF

Thats too bad. God bless he and his family. I looked at his plane this year and probably others. Doing visual comparisons with the Sonerai II.

don january

Log Member
I like the Fin and rudder on N64BE. Your right about the pictures like me we search for every example of planes like what we are building and there never seems to be enough.;)

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I bent my fin and decided to stop. I need time to think this through.

What is the right look for a vintage Cassutt? Hmm, I need to ask myself this question. What look do you guys like?

Here are 3 photos of 3 drawings. The original IIM, original IIIM, and the modern plans IIM.
IMG_20171217_094115545~2.jpg

IMG_20171217_094010110~2.jpg

IMG_20171217_093857370~2.jpg

I come to the conclusion that not only is the Giles Henderson (RIP) owned Meyers Cassutt a taller fin but it's deeper. It's really a different look.
FB_IMG_1513345160734.jpg

Here is what I have so far. Keep in mind, my fin is 2" taller than the plans.
IMG_20171217_092129489~2.jpg

I put a temporary piece of tube on the turtle deck structure to show the angle, or look. Kinda gives me an idea of you this will play out.

Also, the 3 prints photos show the various intersections of the fin to the turtle deck support, so I have to pick one and go with it.
IMG_20171217_092948545~2.jpg

So I decided to quit and walk away so I can think about the look I want. Any opinion, good or bad is requested. I'm not even sure what I want but I do like the vintage look.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I like the first the best but it will be the hardest to scale if you want to add some height.
I agree. I seem to like the shape that's more original which is almost Pitts (ish). I'm pulling out original Pitts drawings shortly to see what the proportions are....just for reference.

I suppose I could grab the tube and open it up a little which would increase the radius. This would also pull back the horizontal top section and ultimately put less "flat" in the top.

I don't know. I just want it to look right. Screw this up and the whole airplane will look like hell.

TFF

Cool looking but not fun to fly is the worst kind of airplane. I would pick a good height and area that is known to be good, and get some welding rod and mock up something that works both ways. Unless you are making a museum display that only flies a few times, make sure it flies good first place.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Without actually flying it I have no way of knowing.

I think I'm gonna gently open up the radius a little and see what that looks like.

Autodidact

Here's some contrast; I think the tail on the silver one has better proportions and I like the slightly raked LE, and it looks a little bit bigger:
cassuttform.jpg

Latest posts