Quantcast

Casler 45hp .Complete and ready to run. $ 5000.00

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

N8053H

That is one Sweet little engine. I love the ass. case on the back. Looks like you have an alt. and starter mounted on that engine. I would love to have that ass. case for the back of my little 1/2 vdub. Where did you get it and what does all this weigh complete?

H.A.S.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
The price also seems awfully high for a second-hand engine considering the prices for a new one from Scott Casler.

45 HP at 3600 R.P.M. - 2 Cylinders - 84 lbs ( Slick Magneto, Aluminum NiCom Cylinders, Hand Start) - $4,650.00
New Case Add - $700.00
Starter/Alternator Kit for 2 Cylinder Engines - $600.00
Front Mount Starter Only Kit- $375.00
Dual Ignition for 2 Cylinder Engines / Includes drilling heads for dual plugs - $425.00
https://www.hummelengines.com/price-list

N8053H

This is the same engine and setup I use. Because of this Scott explained to me this engine really does not make 45 hp. It takes the two carbs to get this HP from this engine. He also pulled production of this engine setup as a 45 hp. He is having issue with this engine setup with dual carbs. We have spoke in length about this issue. He has not had one of these engines set up like this one and mine fail. Only the dual carb engine has failed. The crank is breaking. IMHO what is happening when using dual carbs, the engine is now set up as two single engines connected by the crank. If one carb gets out of sync for any reason, be it a throttle cable stretches more then the other, or one carb not set perfect to the other, you now have an engine with each piston fighting each other. If you vary the carb, be it slide opening or mixture off, this can cause timing to be off and other things like pre-ignition. Were when you have one carb feeding both cylinders the engine acts as one.
IMHO this is what is happening with this engine and why there are no problems with those using a single carb but the same exact engines of those that are failing. I should also mention RPM's. those breaking cranks on these engine with the setup I speak of are turning these at 3600 RPM's. I do not turn mine that fast. 3200rpm wot in level flight. Nothing more. Keep Manifold Pressure between 23-25 and she will just PURRRRRRR.

Tony

Last edited by a moderator: