• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

cardboard and duct tape airplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadeedward

Carboard and Duck Tape Airframes

Hey All,

I have, despite the obvious risk to life and limb, taken a bet that I can indeed build and fly a cardboard and duct tape airplane for 1/2 hour at 50 feet.

Now, I haven't worked in the field in several decades (not since being run over by that drunken judge really). I can use all the help I can get.

Naturally, I plan to stretch the rules somewhat by making my own cardboard. I plan to form a sharp conical main spar of corrugated cardboard with formers formed of bidirectional outlaid corrugated cardboard and a glued and taped stressed skin of packing tub type cardboard with bidirectional corrugation and water seal the lot with duck tape. I'll stress the lot with air pressure. I plan to make it as big as possible, like an old O-40odd series observation ship, and count on economy of scale to make it light enough.

It should work, as Goodyear (?) had a rubber air pressure stressed wing airplane in the sixties that I worked on the concept and drawings for that air dropped inflateable rescue plane.

By the way, it must make use of lawn mower engines, and I must pilot it and I weigh a substantial 255 lbs. (Wouldn't want to make things easy.)

I have nothing in the way of ability to calculate the likelihood of failure and my funding is nearly nil. But I've always been lucky designing by the seat of the pants.

The bet is that if I can do it, three fellows I know will go into business with me; I'm a crippled deadbeat dad, broke with brain injuries, thus I really need help with the licensing end of rebuilding my economic life (note if you will under those conditions in Maine -Maine treats the brain injured as "mentally ill" and one can't bill the mentally ill for child support as it cost the state more money to treat the medical conditions exacerbated by the threats intimidation and downright abuse than the child support will ever justify - imposition of child support is forbidden the court by statute - but neither the DHHS nor the judicial care - the local mobs penchant for shooting people in the head seems to trump all legal aspects of this pathetic existence).

Don't worry about me though, I've got food, lodging (courtesy of the State Mental Hospital and CHCS's shelter plus care!) and I'm a Bell Ringer for the Salvation Army (they tell me I'm even famous) - so perhaps even God has heard of me and is on my side! (wish I could afford a hair cut and the occasional toilet paper roll though...but who knows, If I don't get squished flying a paper and tape airplane I might get to own another business or two, maybe even buy a few more hospital helicopters for foreign governments! After all, we can't rely on GWB to do all the winning of hearts and minds can we? - not that he's not doing a bang bang bang up job!)

I have always counted on humor to get me out of tough scrapes, and I'd hope that a cardboard and duck tape airplane might be a worthy medium.

If on the other hand, this project has already been done there is no use reinventing the wheel so please send me any details you might have of any former attempts.

Thanks and God Bless,
javascript:smilie('')
Bananna Wade Edward Hinson
AKA: Hue Ward (of)Whos

PS:I thank the fellow in that other forum for redirecting my inquiry here; but, please forgive my bad spelling and grammer and don't get too mad that the other forum passed the buck on this one! I have a bad habbit of making the same bad bets - some of which I never quite get around to doing, others ... well but, if you've heard this all before please thank you for the past help, but the brain injuries do keep me from recalling everything when I desire it. So, bear with me.

Back