• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Carbon Undercarriage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markproa

Supporting Member
My plans call for a one piece blade type undercarriage made of solid uni glass. It tapers from 30mm thick at the top to 20mm at the wheel axles. As I have many rolls of carbon tow hanging around I'm thinking I could save some weight by replacing the glass with carbon. I have a resin impregnator and can make up a manifold system for laying say a dozen tows at a time so I can do the complete layup within the slow epoxy gel time. I would make a simple mould and wind the tows around nails at each end to keep the fibres straight.
My question is how much can I reduce the thickness of the blade to end up with the same stiffness? Should I keep the overall thickness but replace some of the neutral axis with pvc foam?
I will wrap the outside with double bias once out of the mould.

Mark

Back