• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Carbon spar with diedral in middle -Jodel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opcod

Hi

I have since a long time a pretty big question that i'm not sure. If i whant to build a wing straight, but at the 2/3 of the wing(from the fuselage) you got a diedral of 5degres. Exactly like a Jodel aircraft.

So if we use a Jim Marske method with the carbon rod, it's pretty easy for a straight spar, but if i whant a diedral like this (the picture) how can it be possible. Like the whole wing can be made with a D-cell with the I beam all in carbon, but at the joint, is making a fitting with pins, like the old Corsair or other Grumman or the ww2 era with the flip wing could be interesting...

Because, if we bend the carbon rod, maybe just at the stress test, a delamination might occur before the 6g.. Or making a joint at the diedral it will maybe request like 8-10 layer of fabric to sustain the charge... But again, the carbon rod will be cut, so it maybe become a stress area that may occur a failure.
So if you have some idea how to manage this one, it will be welcome.
Thanks.
jodel_d120a_kp.jpg

Back