Carbon Fiber Tube Fuselage

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
workhorse
Not a word for anything build from CF. It is too **** essy to break with any sharp object. And it will break to zillion pieces, but not bend.. 4130 is way better in this way. It will bend , and only after this it will break.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Use a lower modules material, like glass fiber, or mix it with kevlar, maybe?
I do not know. I have broken some fishing rods before with minimum load..

Fat spar build up from pultrusion is deep inside wing. But thin walled tubes close to stone flying from wheel are not..

TLAR

Banned
Fusion Bonding. Aka. Welding
See CompositesWorld for this amazing development

TLAR

Banned
CF tube fuselage? Get real... How much money do you actually have?

Duncan
Cheaper than 4130, and that includes the foam
Really it just boils down to the material I like to use
Plastic fantastic

Last edited:

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Not a word for anything build from CF. It is too **** essy to break with any sharp object. And it will break to zillion pieces, but not bend.. 4130 is way better in this way. It will bend , and only after this it will break.
Which, of course, is why you don't see CF in military aircraft or civilian airliners! ;)

TFF

I doubt it’s cheaper in the USA. Other parts of the world where shipping 10-20 ft items by themselves, across an ocean, fore sure. Shipping long items here is expensive but not so much to stop a project. Does make stockpiling for hoarders harder, which really tend to be their hobby. As for fusion bonding, really? How many years will that take to trickle down. It took about 30 years for TIG welders to come down to hobby level, and they were never astronomically expensive if you needed one for work.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Which, of course, is why you don't see CF in military aircraft or civilian airliners! ;)
Kudos.

Latest Russia passenger jet have single pieced wing build from cf..

I do not imagine how "easy" field repair would be done for it. And you cant post it via ups to repair factory. A little oversized package..

But - i still love to ser non-load bearing cf skin on metal tubular frame. Welded or bolted.

Better than aluminium - it will bend a little and spring back.

Cleaner-better looking shapes than fabric.

But yes, it will be heavier..

BJC

HBA Supporter
Carbon fiber skins were used on the F/A-18, starting almost 40 years ago. The now-ancient F-14 used epoxy/boron skins for the horizontal stabilizer skins.

BJC

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Mach 2++ skin will easily defend itselfs from pencil armored mooron using you wing as a table.

Sabine

A couple of thoughts on this post. Braided Kevlar could be pulled over the tube and fused with epoxy- this would throw away a great deal of shattering in the event of a crash. With regards to joints a friend of mine made stanchion bases for yachts with a 2 piece mould and removable male plugs- basically wind/ layup the required material and when at size place the split moulds over and compress to join- nice part about it is webs could also be made between the plugs to provide even greater strength

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
If the skin is non-load bearing, why waste the money on cf.
Because for sub 200mph air loads it is much more delicate, than needed to survive hangar rush/ mooron pencil attack/ waiting in the corner in sub-asembles bin.

ch-701/750 are build from thicker skin, than needed - and after heavy usage it is full of small dent.

On the other hand - Cri-cri have foam ribs spaces each ~ 50mm. And wings are always hidden then not in use..

speedracer