• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

carbon fiber truss Fuse - anybody?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBNH

O.K.

I know the dollars would add up fast...but has anyone yet completed an otherwise straight forward fuselage like this???

Carbon Fiber Truss - Incredibly strong yet light-weight carbon fiber truss structures

It appears they are using simple Scotch-Weld epoxy and pop rivets.

I observed the construction of an LMA 75% Champ this weekend assembled using 5/8" rectangular aluminum tube (stringer material) simply gusseted and pop riveted...but eould like to have seen something of the sort in carbon tube. or angle. What' the Texas Parasol fuse? 1" and 3/4" angle? I know substituting materials one for one tends to be a bad idea, but would there be weight/strength benefit substituting carbon angle? Then stress testing and seeing where you can scale down members to smaller dimensions without sacrificing strength. I can imagine 1 or 1 and a half inch angle stringers and half inch square tube truss...

Daydreaming...but it makes me think of the possibilities for gluing up a carbon truss fuse myself...even with the dollar signs flashing before my eyes.

Last edited:
Back