• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Carbon design under FAR 23

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markproa

Supporting Member
I've been corresponding with Serge Pennec, the French designer of the Gas'aile. I asked him if I could get the plane up to a MTOW of 600kg which is the max in Australia if I decide to register it as an ultralight. The plane is presently designed for a MTOW of 480 kg. The carbon spar caps are supplied professionally made to builders in Europe in one piece whereas I want to lay up my own using Graphlite carbon rod as it would be much cheaper to get it to Australia. I'm only asking because I know there are already a couple of Gas'ailes flying in Europe at 600kg.
In answer to my question he wrote: "it is ok for 500, but the certification FAR 23 say only 1/5 to the 2000 mpa, the carbone work only at 400 mpa for 6G !!"
Is that true? Does Far 23 restrict carbon use to 400Mpa or am I understanding him wrongly?

Mark

Back