• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Carb for inverted flight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12notes

Supporting Member
I'm not considering doing serious acro with the Hummelbird I'm building, but I have been concerned about the engine cutting out in zero or negative Gs. This got me thinking about inverted flight, and if any VW engine based planes can sustain it.

What carb could sustain inverted flight? I'm guessing the float type are out, which leaves the Aeroinjector or Revflow slide type carbs. From what I've gathered doing research, the problem with these slide carbs is that they require 0.5psi of fuel pressure, and regulators that can sustain that are hard to find. I did find one sold in Europe that will go down to 0.5psi, coupled with a low pressure pump and a flop tube in the tank, would that be sufficient?

Are there any carbs out there that will fit a VW (or 1/2 VW) that can sustain inverted flight other than the two mentioned? How about any VW based planes that can do negative G acro?

I know it also should have an inverted oil system as well, but no one makes them anymore. So for now, I'm just wondering about the fuel and air part of it. And, again, I'm not asking because I plan on sustaining inverted flight in my Hummelbird, but I need to buy a carb for it anyway, all the carbs available are in the same ballpark in price, and I wouldn't mind some insurance that is essentially free.

Back