• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

carb adjustments for Mosler CB-40 on a Mini Max

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Brown

I have a recently completed Mini Max and acquired a Mosler CB-40 engine for it from a Canadian seller. I am now at the point of determining the condition of the used engine. With a very knowledgeable helper/guide/a&p, we got the engine fired up today after it had not run in two years. Took a little effort but got it going. The engine came to me with an Aero slide carb which I opted to change to a Zenith carburetor having checked with Scott Cassler on what to buy and I got it from him, the model number escapes me but it is what he said to get. We followed what were internet guideline on carburetor settings for main and idle and fired it up. Took a lot of tinkering with the two adjustable features and we finally got all it had with what we knew, and that was about 2800 rpm. I believe ideally we should get 3000-3200 rpm. Prop is a 54 x 22 so it was not the culprit. The other oddity is all of the rpm we could get came in the first half of the throttle travel. In the last half, we got no further rpms. Our sense of it was that we were lean and not getting enough fuel to get the rpm we should. Thoughts that come to mind are air leaks somewhere and fuel blockages somewhere. We had no luck in pursuing these possibilities. Looking for other peoples’ experiences with this engine and Zenith carb to see if we can get throttle response in the second half of travel and close to the desired rpms. Thank you very much for your time and consideration

Kim Brown

[email protected]

Back