• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cantilever spar question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck Bob

I have done some rudimentary structures research but have a question about cantilever wings.

For a wooden cantilever wing one sees the wings attach often on either side of the fuselage. For discussion sake say that one had a 3 piece spar, a center section in a steel tube fuselage and each wing panel attached to the center section. This would be 2 sets of attacment hardware and fittings.

If that wing was designed to join in the middle of the spar, also the middle of the fuselage, would not that save a set of fittings and hardware. I have it in my head that the stresses would be the same in the center of the spar as it would be at each attach point for the three piece wing directly outboard of the fuselage. When looking at plans for one piece wing spars the center section is not any different than the spar directly outboard of the attach bolt to the fuselage.

The reason I ask is to eliminate the extra weight of the double attach hardware for a 3 piece spar. My shop is too small for a full length spar but a 2 piece cantilever wing would work and fit my shop well. I have no need for easy to pull wings, once at the hangar I can forsee pulling a wing for major repair only. I am thinking of the Anglin Spacewalker/Revolution or the mods for planes like the Cvjetkovic CA-65 and Emeraudes to make 3 piece wings.

Hope this makes sense!

Back