Can't post in build log area

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

KushFlier

Log Member
Wondering if I need to do something before I'm allowed to post in the build log forum. Getting this message in that section:

"You have insufficient privileges to post threads here"

I read the sticky thread but it didn't say anything about restrictions.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Some of us don't like the comments embedded in our build logs. It breaks up the flow. If it is - your - build log you can't post to then Admin needs to fix that. Those of us that do want comments, but still want our build log 'untarnished' set up a second thread for the comments. You can add a link to both in your signature line if you desire.

There is at least on bluild log here where the owner hasn't set up an 'official' comment thread but another HBA member took the liberty to do so. You also have that option, if the log member has no objections.

KushFlier

Log Member
Thanks! Sorry I should have been more clear - I can't create a new build log for myself in that section.

Good call about the 2nd thread for comments though, that's a great idea once I get my main build log started up.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Correct, the build log section is restricted for the reasons given above so a member has to request access. Then, membrrs who do have access are requested not to post in others' build logs.

I'll pass along your request to the admin, we moderators don't have access to the permissions there.

KushFlier

Log Member
Gotcha thanks, wasn't aware that I had to request access to create a build log thread. Appreciate the help!

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
member has to request access. Then, membrrs who do have access are requested not to post in others' build logs.

So this is a change from the old software where any member could set up a log at any time and it was automatically protected - from everyone?

I just noticed we can edit our build logs anytime, rather than in the edit window time limit for normal posts. I do kind of like that. Fixed a typo......

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
So this is a change from the old software where any member could set up a log at any time and it was automatically protected - from everyone?
Correct. We liked it better the old way, but unfortunately the new software doesn't allow that.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Thatone

And that is a lesson we are still learning from the days we had to plug the program in with a bank of switches. Teach the guy that needs the software how to program, is better than trying to teach a programmer what the program should be doing for the guy that actually uses it.

ScaleBirdsScott

Teach the guy that needs the software how to program, is better than trying to teach a programmer what the program should be doing for the guy that actually uses it.
But if I know how to program, I'd just go get that sweet programmer silicon valley money and skip this whole doing CAD thing. 😂

AdrianS

Thatone

And that is a lesson we are still learning from the days we had to plug the program in with a bank of switches. Teach the guy that needs the software how to program, is better than trying to teach a programmer what the program should be doing for the guy that actually uses it.
As a professional programmer of many years, I have to respond with the point that the worst software I've had to fix or replace has been written by engineers who knew a bit of programming.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a professional programmer of many years, I have to respond with the point that the worst software I've had to fix or replace has been written by engineers who knew a bit of programming.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

I program only in self defense.

BJC

HBA Supporter
My experience is that incompetent, intellectually lazy, and uncaring people exist in all professions and areas of education.

BJC

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! Sorry I should have been more clear - I can't create a new build log for myself in that section.

Good call about the 2nd thread for comments though, that's a great idea once I get my main build log started up.
Please see if you can start a new Log for yourself.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I just wanted to bring this up again so those that missed it would know. Just send me a message and I'll set your Building Log permissions. Only takes a moment.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Wait! What? I thought that new software always is better.

BJC
Wait.... how can we know for sure that these are your actual words? Maybe you really wrote “The new software sucks”, and then the new software corrected it to read what we are seeing now.