• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Canopy Bow/trim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
Hi all,

I’m just about to permanently attach the new windscreen to the RV-8. Once this is complete I will need to layup the perimeter trim and bow. I’m not too worried about doing the base of the windshield, but I have spent a great deal of time getting the canopy/windscreen joint tight and level (minimal discontinuity). I want the trim to be thin and tight here so that I don’t trip the airflow over the top of the canopy, so I’m thinking that I can get away with 2 plies of 8 oz carbon. Since I have to trim the edges that touch the windshield, it looks like I’m going to have to lay this whole trim piece as a splash and then remove and trim.

So my questions: Will there be a problem getting the finished bow to adhere to the plexi without mechanical attachment? I’m using West Systems for the layup – can I simply rough up the mating surface and use the same resin? Is there any way I can do a “wet” layup and still finish the edges that contact the plex?

Thanks for the advice

Back