• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Canopies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soneraifred

Supporting Member
I've had a few questions related to Sonerai canopy availability since the death of the owner of Todd's Canopies several weeks ago. From what I understand, the continued existence of the company is in question, so we'll have to wait and see. As an alternative, Airplane Plastics in Tipp City, OH can supply canopies for all of the Sonerai family. They have two different Sonerai II canopies, a standard and a "Big". For the Sonerai I, they usually supply a KR-1 canopy. Check them out. Their website is www.airplaneplastics.com. If you scroll down thru their photo gallery, you'll find a picture of Mike Then's Sonerai IILTS.

Just to give some feedback, I purchased my canopy from them back in 1995. Company ownership has changed hands once that I am aware of, but no change in service. Late last fall, I caused a crack in my canopy (overtightened a securing bolt). I visited Airplane Plastics and they were kind enough to describe how to mitigate the crack and gave me some practice plexiglas to work on before stop drilling my canopy. Very helpful.

Note I used the standard canopy. When I mated the canopy to the skirt, I wound up cutting more of the canopy off the sides than I needed to....so the standard does provide a little more visibility than how I attached it.

If/when I purchase another canopy, I would not hesitate to consider purchasing from them. For what it is worth...

This is very sad news about Todd Silver and his family. I had written to Todd a few years back about my canopy ideas and he was very helpful. Prayers for his surviving daughter Gabrielle and his family. He will be missed. :(

Any updates to this list?
Any info on cost for S2 (not stretch) canopy from airplaneplastics.com?

(Yes, I can call on Monday, but being a little impatient....) :)
Also hate to call people when still in tire-kick/resource-gather mode.

Thanks!
smt

I bought an S2 canopy from Airplane Plastics last year to replace my cracked and eventually ruined trying to fix it original.

They exactly replicated my old cracked one and upgraded the material to a thicker sheet with UV protection. I was able to install the new one without having to modify the canopy frame or make new skirts.

The optical clarity is fantastic with no distortion anywhere.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. Echoing Fred, they know how to make all the Sonerai canopies and may even still have the form used to make mine.

See the photos for before/after.

As Jeff Lange's signature says: "Buy the best and cry once."

Ed

Attachments

• orig_canopy.jpg
    orig_canopy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
  • new_canopy.jpg
    new_canopy.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 102
If you look on the Aircraft Spruce website, they offer Sonerai II canopies made by Aerocanopies for $630.00. I believe that Aerocanopies is the company that bought the Todd’s assets, and started making canopies again.

they offer Sonerai II canopies made by Aerocanopies for $630.00.

I saw that previously & also got a direct quote from the successor a few weeks/month ago.

Was wondering how Airplane Plastics compares.

Thanks!
smt

Re: Airplane Plastics
There has apparently not been someone in this week who could discuss the parameters & give a direct quote.
My sense is that they will bend over backwards to make a canopy to fit your requirements including modifications to shape & dimensions if requested. Apparently for a replacement canopy they will work to make it fit exactly so there needs be no modification of existing structure. This could be invaluable for fast turn-around and low intrusiveness to replace a canopy on a finished airplane.

Based on the intent of the company to do the work and customer relations to make it fit perfectly & of course other variables like tint, the person who answered my follow-up call this morning was resistant to state a quote. She noted that there is a "big" canopy for the S2; said something about extra visibility; & said there was a standard. I pressed her for a ball-park figure for a "big" & for a standard.

For general interest, a clear non-UV standard for S2 is comparable or a little more to Aerocanopies. A "big" is about 40 - 50%% more.

If I pursue any of these options i will eventually post a update.

smt

Soneraifred said:
I've had a few questions related to Sonerai canopy availability since the death of the owner of Todd's Canopies several weeks ago. From what I understand, the continued existence of the company is in question, so we'll have to wait and see. As an alternative, Airplane Plastics in Tipp City, OH can supply canopies for all of the Sonerai family. They have two different Sonerai II canopies, a standard and a "Big". For the Sonerai I, they usually supply a KR-1 canopy. Check them out. Their website is www.airplaneplastics.com. If you scroll down thru their photo gallery, you'll find a picture of Mike Then's Sonerai IILTS.

Fred,
You are correct sir, my RV friend Lance Logan in FL bought Todd's Canopies from his estate and began shipping new canopies last year. Here is a review of his product from the VAF website:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=164753

He owned my RV6X for a few years and when I traveled to FL to buy it back, I got a 50 cent tour of his "factory". He lists a Sonerai S2 canopy on page 2 of his "store" tab for $630 with a picture of...you guessed it, 994SP!
Give him a call...
www.aerocanopy.com

V/R
Smokey

Take a look at my gallery. Jeff from Airplane Plastics used my plane to create a big Sonerai canopy that looks great! It was a pleasure working with the Airplane Plastics people.

Lee

Lee,

Your airplane was the first Sonerai I actually ever saw. It was at Oshkosh 2008. Beautiful bird!

Chucker -

Thanks for the generous offer! If i did things correctly, i sent you a PM.

To the forum -
My dilemma is needing 2 - 2-1/2" more head room, in an already flying AC.
So I'd like to raise the canopy as a bubble, without changing the turtledeck.
However, there are a lot of references that suggest that raising the canopy can affect the tail effectiveness.
So I'd like to take the "obvious?" solution, but hate to commit a lot of money to it before proof. Including crate & shipping the commercial options are $1K/pop or more. Good value for a proven install. Expensive for what could be a few tries.

I'm sidling/slouching toward setting up to blow a few iterations; though perhaps Chucker's offer will yield a workable solution.

smt

Attachments

• DSC_0245.JPG
    DSC_0245.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 86
Gaston was not a tall man, but as I look at that picture I am reminded of the day I flew front seat with Gaston, well I flew in the front, no seat and no seat back, no shoes. I am 6 feet tall. I highly motivated to get some stick time while I was building mine.

Not sure if i have the PM function figured out on here.
I've sent a couple in the past without response.

ehmcofab at gmail

Thanks.

smt

I see that some have installed a gas spring to help open and close the canopy is there a part number and what size/force is it. also is a air drill worth the money to work on the canopy and wing thanks all

Reactions: pjs
I put this in another post of mine but wanted to let S1 builders/restorers know that Jeff at Airplane Plastics in Ohio built a canopy for my S1 (smoke grey). He also built another one and it is currently on the shelf. If you need one, you may want to give him a shout. Photo enclosed.

Attachments

• Sonerai 1 Canopy.jpg
    Sonerai 1 Canopy.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 40
Back