Canada - Journey book - Annual Maintenance record

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

MolsonB

For my Canadian amature homebuilt, the annual maintenance record go in the Journey book, correct?
I have the initial comment during building, "This aircraft will be maintained in compliance with CAR 625, Appendices B&C" in there.

I saw on MD-RA site it says all technical records for airframe, engine and prop go in the journey log book. Maintenance and elementary work are considered technical records.

"The described maintenance has been performed in accordance with the applicable airworthiness requirements".

Is that all we put after doing an annual maintenance?

Last edited:

Dan Thomas

Canadian Aviation Regulations concerning that: Canadian Aviation Regulations

An excerpt:

Requirement to Keep Technical Records
  • 605.92 (1) Every owner of an aircraft shall keep the following technical records in respect of the aircraft:
    • (a) a journey log;
    • (b) subject to subsections (2) and (3), a separate technical record for the airframe, each installed engine and each variable-pitch propeller; and
    • (c) except where otherwise provided under the terms of a fleet empty weight and balance program referred to in subsection 706.06(3), an empty weight and balance report that meets the applicable standards set out in Standard 571 — Maintenance.
  • (2) The technical records required by paragraph (1)(b) may consist of separate technical records for each component installed in the airframe, engine or propeller.
  • (3) In the case of a balloon or glider, or an aircraft operated under a special certificate of airworthiness in the owner-maintenance or amateur-built classification, all entries in respect of the technical records referred to in paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) may be kept in the journey log.

So yes, all the maintenance entries for a homebuilt go in the Journey Log. Type-certified airplanes still have to have separate Technical Logs for the engine, airframe and propeller, if that prop is a variable-pitch prop. Note that the law says you "may" keep all the records in the Journey Log, but you can keep separate Tech Logs if you want. You still need to make an entry in the JL, though, mentioning any work, with the actual details kept in the Tech Logs.

The maintenance entry, for any inspection or any work done, must contain the details of the work performed. If we look at the details required for a Technical Record, we get an idea of what we should be recording. See this: Canadian Aviation Regulations

Too much information in the Log is better than too little. One of the real pains a mechanic encounters in a log is a simple statement like this:
( Date) Annual inspection carried out. The work performed was carried out in accordance with the applicable standards of airworthiness. (Signature)

Not only does that not meet the requirements (it doesn't say what the inspection was carried out in accordance with), it doesn't help another mechanic or Transport inspector or the next owner to know what stuff has been changed or repaired or replaced on the airplane. You need to say what you did, such as "Annual Inspection carried out in accordance with inspection Checklist developed for use with this aircraft and in accordance with CAR 625 Appendices B and C" and you need to record whatever defects you find and what you did to fix them. You should be finding defects if your checking properly, even if it's an underinflated tire or a loose piece of baffling or a mouse nest. Stuff happens.

Even for a homebuilt you have to do the inspection in accordance with something, even if it's an inspection checksheet you made up yourself. CAR 625 Appendix B (Parts 1) and Appendix C are the places to look to make up your own list.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/corporate-services/acts-regulations/list-regulations/canadian-aviation-regulations-sor-96-433/standards/standard-625-appendix-b-maintenance-schedules-canadian-aviation-regulations-cars

https://tc.canada.ca/en/corporate-services/acts-regulations/list-regulations/canadian-aviation-regulations-sor-96-433/standards/standard-625-appendix-c-out-phase-tasks-equipment-maintenance-requirements-canadian-aviation-regulations-cars

Any checklist you create has to include at least the stuff mentioned in Appendix B Part 1, unless your airplane doesn't have it. For instance, you don't likely have a cockpit voice recorder or underwater locating device in your homebuilt.

Checklists remind us to look at stuff, and by initialling each line item you confirm that you did inspect it. Keep the checksheets as part of the airplane's records.

Does that help?

Last edited:

MolsonB

Thanks Dan for the detailed response. I do already have the 'Check list' of 625 Appendix B and removed any items that do not pertain. And also have my Out of Phase list. They were required with MD-RA before first flight.

That's why I wasn't sure what to actually write in the Journey Log. I don't need to reiterate all the checklist items, but you gave a good response with "Annual Inspection carried out in accordance with inspection Checklist developed for use with this aircraft and in accordance with CAR 625 Appendices B & C". Then I can list any defects and fixes.

Dan Thomas

Thanks Dan for the detailed response. I do already have the 'Check list' of 625 Appendix B and removed any items that do not pertain. And also have my Out of Phase list. They were required with MD-RA before first flight.

That's why I wasn't sure what to actually write in the Journey Log. I don't need to reiterate all the checklist items, but you gave a good response with "Annual Inspection carried out in accordance with inspection Checklist developed for use with this aircraft and in accordance with CAR 625 Appendices B & C". Then I can list any defects and fixes.
You got it.