Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
Anybody know what this little single-seat taildragger is (not the RV)? I hear it's called the "Buckshot" but I can't find any information on that type (perhaps that is just the nickname the original builder gave it). I am told it shares some characteristics with a Swift (see leading-edge slots in the second photo). The N-number painted on the wings is currently assigned to a Swift. I'm aware of the TEMCO Buckaroo (a tandem Swift variant) but this isn't one--perhaps it's a one-off derivative? Best estimate is that this was built in the mid- to late '60s; the original builder stopped work on this and built a Thorp in the '70s.

I'll get a chance to take a look in person this weekend and maybe can learn more, but I thought maybe you guys who have socks older than me (I'm lookin' at you, @Pops!) might know something.

move1.jpg

in the YA hanger1.jpg
in the YA hanger3.jpg

TFF

Interesting wings. Swift? The N number is Swift on the wings. Do they go with it? Looks like someone wanted a Sonerai fuselage in aluminum. Do the wings bolt on? I had a friend that had a razorback RV3.

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
The wings might well be off a Swift, adapted to whatever the fuselage is. They do indeed go with the project. I should be able to gather more information soon. I love a good mystery!

From the handed-down history I heard, the project predates the Sonerai. I agree it looks a lot like that in size/proportion.

Wanttaja

There are two fuselages and two sets of wings in the second picture. The wings on the left of the second picture do not correspond to the wings on the trailer (count the lightening holes). The N-number is definitely from a Swift that was deregistered in 1970. The ex-Swift wings appear to be the ones on the trailer, though the N-Number doesn't show.

Need to see the vertical stabilizer/rudder shape for the single-seater.

Ron Wanttaja

TFF

The craftsman on the fuselage looks pretty good.

Low wing Sonerai came around in the early 80s; is that the assumption or predating the single seat which would be early 70s? 69 would be the RV3; trying to copy it? Another “Playboy” in all aluminum with shortcut wings? It’s a lot of wing for a single seat plane and probably relatively heavy, much less complex with the slotted leading edge.

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
There are two fuselages and two sets of wings in the second picture. The wings on the left of the second picture do not correspond to the wings on the trailer (count the lightening holes). The N-number is definitely from a Swift that was deregistered in 1970. The ex-Swift wings appear to be the ones on the trailer, though the N-Number doesn't show.

Need to see the vertical stabilizer/rudder shape for the single-seater.

Ron Wanttaja
Yes. Sorry for any confusion I may have created. There are two projects in these pictures. One set of wings belongs to the RV fuselage (pic #2 left). The perhaps-ex-Swift wings are on the trailer in pic #1 and on the right in pic #2. The mystery ship does not have a stab, so no clues there unfortunately. Will get some better pics when able in a few days.

Scottiniowa

Was some actually carrying the wings as pictured in the first photo? I can't imagine on a flat ribbed floor, would produce good end results? EVEN 2-10 miles... there is a lot of things wrong in that photo, but perhaps it was done, just to show that it would fit (kinda) on a trailer.

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
Was some actually carrying the wings as pictured in the first photo? I can't imagine on a flat ribbed floor, would produce good end results? EVEN 2-10 miles... there is a lot of things wrong in that photo, but perhaps it was done, just to show that it would fit (kinda) on a trailer.
I'm told the wings are heavily corroded and not airworthy. I don't know if the load was hauled that way.

Riggerrob

This vaguely reminds me of the Seminole which was an attempt to build a Sonerai with a sheet aluminum fuselage circa 1990.

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
Here are some more pictures. The oral history that has been related to me is that this is a one-off that was begun by a gentleman in the 1960s; he abandoned the project to build a T-18. (There are some partially-fabricated parts wrapped up in newspaper comics from 1968.) It was intended to use the outer wing panels from a Swift and a small Lycoming (O-235 I suppose). The newspaper and Ron's 1970 deregistration date seem to align. It's passed through several owners and now EAA43's Young Aviators will be working on it. We're building an RV-14 with high schoolers this year, and those younger than that will be working with me on turning this into a static display for STEM events where the kids can show off their handiwork and demonstrate how the control systems work. We'll be building an empennage, wingtip fairings, aileron & flaps (or possibly flaperons), canopy, cowling, and control systems.

I think it could possibly make an airworthy project (with a new set of wings and some engineering analysis), but alas, I'm too large to fit :(. My hope is that this will make a good educational project for the younger kids and whatever we do might be easily unbolted so that if anyone ever wants to make it airworthy in the future, that remains possible.

IMG_9737.JPG IMG_9733.JPG

IMG_9743.JPG IMG_9746.JPG

IMG_9749.JPG IMG_9745.JPG

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
Looks like it was going to be a midget’s racer.

BJC
Yup. It's tempting to think about installing a V-tail like Swee' Pea... That last photo above is a little deceptive; I'm squatting on the floor as there is of course no seat yet. With a mere cushion for a seat, the canopy might almost work, but I'm a little too tall. The firewall, though, is only about 20" forward of the instrument panel. Someone with more reasonable leg length might have a good chance of fitting.

I forgot to mention dimensions: total length from firewall to tail is about 135". Because the ailerons & flaps are missing, the wing area is tough to determine but I would project right around 94 sf (not including tip fairings).