• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Can we take away anything for F1?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpainCub

Hi all,

F1 season is coming up and it's going to be an interesting start... but lets get back to our little airplane...

I have been pondering on the ideas for wing tips and how to improve Cl at low speeds, and I was considering a wing tip that is essential a vortex fence, meaning that I can create a "Flat" (and that is a way to visualise it) wingtip that extends greatest a the lower stating of the airfoil and a little less, thing 70% 30% extensions... now to keep the air flowing and the very edge of the tip, knowing there is a tendency to try to rotate around the fence (i got this from viewing a water flow tis weekend) I thought that if I created vertical openings, extruding to the exterior, the flow form the outside air will compress, accelerate and move some of that air outwards.... diminishing the vortex at the tips... when I sat down at a bar (hey it's Spain there is a bar per 100 inhabitant :)) and drew this up, and I'll be darn, I looked like the end o a F1 wing...

So the question is, is there anything we can take away form the effort of extensive wing tunnel testing these guys do? I am sure there is.... it is just that their needs are a little different and we need to look beyond that and learn from their solutions... here a new Ferrary F1 front wing, it has these little vents like I describes (kind of like a shark's gills) as a reference for inspirations...

ferrariFW.jpg

What do you guys think?

Back