can anyone tell me anything about this engine?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Aircaft Engines' started by h-m, Jun 14, 2019 at 5:14 AM.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 14, 2019 at 5:14 AM #1

h-m

h-m

h-m

hello all, just picked up a 4 cylinder engine it is a two stoke and the case has a cast mark says ACME 10940 i believe the number is? it has a mag on the flywheel end and a prop hub on the front. it is single spark plug and has a small carb on it. will try to find a number on the carb tomorrow. if picture comes thru see if any of you can give me insight into what i have please. thank you.
    GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

2. Jun 14, 2019 at 5:31 AM #2

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

It looks a lot like the McCullough engine they used on the Bensen Gyrocopter.

I believe the engine was originally developed for flying target drones.

3. Jun 14, 2019 at 6:10 AM #3

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

McCulloch Model 0-100 drone engine.
    I found a manual online.

4. Jun 14, 2019 at 7:34 AM #4

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

The fact that the crankcase is painted yellow tells me that there MAY have been modificatiEditons made to the engine. This is good news, the gyrocopter community has figured out the weaknesses and issues with the McCullough, and developed upgrades and modifications to make them more reliable over a longer period of time. Bearings, rings, etc. I recall were the only upgrades. The basic engine is regarded as a sound design, and most all of the problems they had were related to fuel delivery and/or ignition. The big moving parts were apparently good. So upgrading to an electronic ignition, and using a better carburetor, might yield a reasonably reliable engine on the cheap. The McCullouugh does have a reputation for being extremely loud. Extremely. So count on putting some time into an exhaust system with a "Swiss Muffler" or other expansion type silencer. I have it on reasonable authority that if you put "too much" of a propeller on it you wind up with a much quieter and longer lasting engine, at the cost of some minor amount of horsepower.

5. Jun 14, 2019 at 2:59 PM #5

h-m

h-m

h-m

very cool. thank you all very much, that appears to be exactly what it is. thanks for all your quick help everyone. i have found the manual also and downloaded it. very cool! thanks again.