Can anyone help me identify this aircraft?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Fox

I need help identifying and possibly getting an estimate on how much this --> http://imgur.com/a/PIJB1ZQ plane would sell for.
For some background, I inherited this plane from my grandfather who bought it from a friend of his. I have no place to store it so I am trying to sell it. It would be sold with the trailer included.
I am a fish out of water in this field, I know next to nothing. I posted it onto reddit but no conclusions were really reached. There is no paperwork with it, and it is quite old and ratty, so I can't imagine it's worth much.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a real old plane, looks like an ultralight made to look sorta like a Piper Cub.

Derswede

Looks very much like a J-3 "Kitten" or an N3 Pup, from Preceptor in N.C. (out of business...for reason). Looks a bit weathered, how long has it been outside? Will most likely need recover on all surfaces and an engine rebuild. If you could find a mechanic near you, he would be able to inspect and give you some better info. There are a couple of similar airplanes around here, the owners seem to like them. The J-3 is a time proven design.

Derswede

Turd Ferguson

Agree, the full length, tapered ailerons should make it easy to identify whether or not it's from plans/kit or a one-off.

How much would it sell for? Probably ~$500. The trailer is the bulk of that value.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Agreed...not quite a Cub replicat from the shape of the rudder and ailerons but definitely ultralight-style construction. You might also consider a donation to a local vocational school, it could certainly be restored for static display and then put in a museum or hung from the roof somewhere.

lr27

If it's light enough to be a plausible part 103 aircraft, that might help a lot in reducing the paperwork. That would be 254 lbs or less. At least for law abiding pilots.

Richard6

I need help identifying and possibly getting an estimate on how much this --> http://imgur.com/a/PIJB1ZQ plane would sell for.
For some background, I inherited this plane from my grandfather who bought it from a friend of his. I have no place to store it so I am trying to sell it. It would be sold with the trailer included.
I am a fish out of water in this field, I know next to nothing. I posted it onto reddit but no conclusions were really reached. There is no paperwork with it, and it is quite old and ratty, so I can't imagine it's worth much.
Do you know if it ever flew?

Also are you able to identify the engine? I looks like an opposed twin. Perhaps if you remove some of the metal from around the engine, some of the people here maybe able to identify it.

Richard

Jim Chuk

As far as the engine goes, did anyone besides Hirth ever make an opposed twin engine 2 stroke of this size? It looks like their 50 HP engine to me from what I can see. JImChuk

Victor Bravo

You can probably get between $1000 and $2000 for it on the open market (eBay, Barnstormers) as a guess. At least 2/3 of that value is the engine, and I have no idea what that specific engine is worth. It is definitely a major rebuild project but there are people who lik doing this, and when the airplane is rebuilt it will likely be a perfectly good little ultralight.

bifft

If it's in American Fork, that is between home and work for me. I could check it out if somebody wants a local look. I haven't done any aircraft wood or welding work, so not super qualified.

Group Builder