• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Can a SkyPup break the FAR103 constrained distance without refueling/landing record by flying an electric motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickrio

The Current record is held by a Mitchell Wing. I have not been able to find the record, but I believe it was set by some guy named Gary something in the eighties and it is somewhere between 300-400 miles. I think a guy named Jon did a completely weight confirmed distance of 309 miles in 2000. A first step to this task is to find the ACTUAL official and unofficial weight and fuel limited record distances. Input appreciated...

There are two other Mitchell Wing records, one in the 600 mile range and another in the 800 mile range. Both of these flights definately exceeded the 254lb weight limit as well as the 5 gallon fuel limit. They are not the records we are after.

The SkyPup likely cannot break the record with an internal combustion engine.... the 5 gallon fuel limit and the airframe that is more draggy than a Mitchell Wing mean that the 5 gallon fuel limit will favor the Mitchell Wing.

BUT a SkyPup airframe is a decent amount lighter than the airframe of a Mitchell Wing. In fact, some SkyPup airframes can weigh less than 150lbs without engines. This leaves a potential 104lbs or more for a motor/battery solution that might be able to break the distance record.

I propose that we figure out and source and price a complete solution that weighs less than 104lbs and can likely fly a skypup for 400 miles or more.

If we can do it, we leave all the info here ready for some SkyPup owner to take up the challenge.

You guys in?

Last edited:
Back