• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Can a shear web be discontinuous?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPM314

Hi, all. This question is for building an RC aircraft, but I think I'll only get a knowledgeable answer on this forum instead of RCG. Plus, I figure it'd be interesting brain food for the types that lurk around here.
So the problem is I'm building with some new kinds of materials (different foam sheeting than I normally use, plus I'm gonna fiberglass the outside - think a composite, sandwich skinned wing with only the exterior glass layer), and because the foam skin has to be split spanwise for the spar cap, I've found that the wing can flex chordwise (change camber) about that point way more than I'm comfortable with during construction. And remember that I don't have a full jig to set this thing in, I'll be working on it in my hands and such. The simplest way to fix this problem is to run the ribs through the spar.
So my question is, what will happen if I cut some slots into a shear web (the web will be +/- 45 glass)? We're talking a 900mm span spar about 20mm high, and putting 3mm wide + full depth vertical slots in it every 100mm. I figure the answer is "nothing important" since this is a model that will be crazy overbuilt, but I'd like to know what I'm doing to the structure.
Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

Back